3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding power windows switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 AM
garryburrell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates

Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

I know its been a while, but I finally have an update. After studying both the manual and testing various things in the truck, you have to replace the dash wiring harness in order to get power windows to work. I was lucky to find a donor truck and pull all of the power window/lock parts as well as the dash harness myself. I was able to see how it all comes apart without destroying my own truck. Anyway, I got all of the door wiring harnesses, locks, window motors and regulators and door panels + switches.

Before I rip the dash apart, and to make sure I had the correct parts, I connected the dash harness to the junction box and ignition switch and plugged up the power window and bam...the power window worked perfectly.

I tried plugging in the driver lock and switch, but it did not work. I read on a different thread here that the instrument cluster controls the power locks which brings up a couple of questions.

1. Can I have the power locks activated by the star scan like the fog lights or do I need to change out the cluster completely?
2. If I change out the cluster, does the new one need to have the mileage adjusted or does it get that info from the computer?

As of right now, I have switched out the door wire harnesses and locks. I'm waiting to have a day to pull out the whole dash to replace the harness.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Antoniocool

Wouldn't it be easier to put relays on the switches so when you push windows up it would close the relay supplying power to the motor spinning it to close the window. Another relay on the windows down switch and that relay would spin the motor backwards opening the window. And two more relays on the door locks. Seems like a lot of work taking apart the dash for power windows and door locks. I would understand power windows. I think all you really need is 12v power to each door and a wire going from driver door to the other doors

Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Antoniocool
Wouldn't it be easier to put relays on the switches so when you push windows up it would close the relay supplying power to the motor spinning it to close the window. Another relay on the windows down switch and that relay would spin the motor backwards opening the window. And two more relays on the door locks. Seems like a lot of work taking apart the dash for power windows and door locks. I would understand power windows. I think all you really need is 12v power to each door and a wire going from driver door to the other doors
That is my plan B, but I am just too stubborn and a perfectionist. I could have just bought an aftermarket power door lock and window kit, but I think they look amateurish. There is an in-line circuit breaker in the factory harness so I'd have to add that and then still have to fish the wires through the dash to get to the passengers doors. My thought is why not take a little more time and put the factory harness in for an essential "plug and play"? I just see it as six of one, a half dozen of another. If it doesn't work I should be able still bypass the instrument cluster for the locks.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Antoniocool

I can appreciate your determination. There should be a relay under the hood for power windows and a fuse for locks. I'm pretty sure my 07 does have spaces for them. They're empty because my truck doesn't have power locks or windows. I could check when I get home if you'd like.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:53 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

I am extremely happy and excited to report I have successfully converted my truck to power windows and locks. It took me most of the day, but its done and working flawlessly. I replaced the dash wiring harness and door internals from the wrecked truck. Now, all the doors lock pressing the button and automatically at 15 mph. It also unlocks all of the doors when you park and open the driver door. Again, I'm extremely happy with the results and can move on to the next project.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:24 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats! Good write-up!

Old 12-07-2016, 04:13 AM
Antoniocool

Nice good job

Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Vash Stampede

Do you have any pictures of the install? Did you get remotes for the power locks?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:50 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vash Stampede
Do you have any pictures of the install? Did you get remotes for the power locks?
The pictures I took were of the dash removal just so I could be sure to know where everything needed to back. I'll have to look for them.

I did have to end up buying a new keyless entry module and have it programmed to my PCM with new keys. The one I pulled from the wrecked truck would cause the immobilizer to activate which then lead to getting the PCM reset again. It was a real pain and I went through at least 3 PCMs this way and ended up spending more money.

Quick Reply: Adding power windows switch