3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

A lot of Codes Bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:03 PM
CoryCalh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lot of Codes Bad PCM?

Hey Guys first time posting on any forum, but I was hoping that I could get some help. I own a 2006 4.7l Quad Cab Dakota, about two weeks ago I got two codes, P0882 and p0700 and the truck was stuck in a high gear and wouldn't shift. I saw where a guy on here had a the same codes and did a transmission flush and that fixed it for him. I did that and the codes went away until now. Today I got nine codes.
p1603,p0700, u01011, p1603, p0846, p0871, p0988, p0876, p0882
I was backing out of the parking lot, it shifted hard into drive and The gear indicator light stayed in park. I parked the truck pulled the codes and restarted it and it drove home just fine. I was hoping that someone here could help point me in the right direction. I'm a college kid that doesn't have a lot of money taking it to the dealership to chase the problem, so any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by CoryCalh; 05-17-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. How many miles on the truck? Transmission flushes are never a good idea on a higher mileage truck. I can fix things temporarily, but then all h$ll breaks loose as all that crap loosened by the flush finds its way into places it should not be. All those transmission related codes at once is not a good sign. I'm no expert on automatics. Hopefully someone else will chime in, otherwise, taking it to a transmission shop may be your best bet at this point.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I would say, clear the CEL, reset the PCM with a battery disconnect, and see if any codes come up again. You might get lucky and it could be one of those fluke things. At least seeing how the truck is running good again.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:24 PM
CoryCalh

Thanks Guys. I should have clarified that the guy with the similar problem did a transmission flush. I only dropped old fluid and changed the filters. It has 96k miles and when I changed the fluid, it still looked good. I wasn't sure when the previous guy changed it so i figured I'd do it.The previous owner used silicone and ALOT of it instead of the gasket. It looked like he missed a spot in the front of the pan and It could have leaked in a little spot, however it wasn't low. There was one side where there was a bead of silicone on the inside of the pan, but I couldn't see any silicone in the fluid. I would assume that if silicone did get in the fluid the Two filters would have caught it before it could have done damage to the transmission??? Either way I'm glad I changed it though because now I know it was done correctly.

Last night I cleared the codes and reset the PCM with the battery disconnect method. I drove it to work and back today and checked for codes but it hasn't completed the Drive cycle yet. I hope it was just a fluke deal but it seems odd that I had two separate occurrences of Transmission codes. . .

Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 PM
CoryCalh

After a week of driving just fine, today it shifted hard into reverse and stayed in a high gear while in drive. After I shifted into drive the CEL came on with 12 different transmission related codes. Any advice as to where I should go, Transmission shop? Or I heard that the dealership is the only one that can program a PCM if thats the problem?

It just seems odd to me that out of no where it would get all these transmission codes when it drives just fine, no hard shifting or any symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: A lot of Codes Bad PCM?