3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Part compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
AirForceDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part compatibility

Hopefully this should be an easy question. I'm looking at two seperate parts and I want to see if they would fit my truck (2005 4x4 4.7). I'm looking at a Dynomax exhaust 19420
here here
and I see that a review says it won't fit trucks with a rear sway bar. Can anyone confirm this? Dynomax's website says this exhaust is compatible with all models of our truck.

Also I was looking for a good/cheap front levelling kit, and I saw this
here here
on amazon and Summit racing. Both of these websites say it will fit our trucks, but the manufacture's website doesn't say anything about fitting a Dakota.

I've email both manufactures with my questions and I'm hoping to hear something from them, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with either of these parts themselves. I would just order them and try it, but my current assignment being overseas means ordering and shipping parts back and forth is a very expensive affair.

Last edited by AirForceDakota; 05-27-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: adding Truck info
Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

The Tuff Country leveling kit is for a Dodge Ram, so that will not work. Reviews for the Dynomax exhaust are not very promising, and very few to boot. No personal experience with either though...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

some rams have the same upper strut mount as our dakotas. i don't remember the exact years that match off the top of my head. The geometry of the upper and lower control arm lengths to strut mount on the lower control arm is totally different though, so the lift amount will be different. I believe it will be higher on our trucks, again, if i remember correctly.

As for the exhaust, i've heard a few that have tried Dynomax, and it's about 50/50 that like and hate it. It's not been on a dakota, so i have no clue about this particular kit. one had issues with install, one didn't like the sound of it. That guy tried about 4 different mufflers before he found one that he liked, so it's probly not the fault of the muffler, he's just crazy.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:18 AM
AirForceDakota

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
some rams have the same upper strut mount as our dakotas. i don't remember the exact years that match off the top of my head. The geometry of the upper and lower control arm lengths to strut mount on the lower control arm is totally different though, so the lift amount will be different. I believe it will be higher on our trucks, again, if i remember correctly.

As for the exhaust, i've heard a few that have tried Dynomax, and it's about 50/50 that like and hate it. It's not been on a dakota, so i have no clue about this particular kit. one had issues with install, one didn't like the sound of it. That guy tried about 4 different mufflers before he found one that he liked, so it's probly not the fault of the muffler, he's just crazy.
I thought the strut mounts might be the same but, I didn't think about the geometry aspect. So I guess I'll spend the extra 25 dollars for the right one, oh well no big deal.

And on the exhaust front, I have heard similar reviews for Dynomax, it's just right now you get a rebate when you buy one. That means that with a 250 dollar exhaust you get a 75 dollar rebate, so 175 for a full catback exhaust. Even if I don't like the muffler I can just buy another single in dual out muffler and install it and still be better off then buying another brand exhaust. Thought that only works if I don't have to remove my rear sway bar, because I'd prefer to keep that right now.

BTW thanks for the advice from both of you, and dakotaff.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 AM
AirForceDakota

Just to add to this thread for future reference, according to the email and call I got from Dynomax, this exhaust (model #19420) will not fit with the rear sway bar.

Quick Reply: Part compatibility