3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Going through front brakes like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going through front brakes like crazy

I've got a 2008 Dakota 4x4 4.7L, do these things notoriously go through front brakes or is it just mine?

I bought it July 2012 and had them put new front pads and rotors on it because I felt a warped rotor on my test drive. I think it had around 69,000kms at that time. Then a year and a half later in Dec 2013 with 94,230kms they wore down to nothing so I installed EBC Greenstuff pads with EBC slotted rotors. They looked great and performed awesome... but they too wore out sooner than expected. So in Dec 2014 with 112,600kms I installed Raybestos pads (PGD1084M) and rotors (780258R). And now I'm just over 118,000kms and I starting to feel that all too familiar warped rotor feel. I'm starting to think maybe the rear drum brakes are not performing well or not adjusted correctly? I'm not too sure. I pulled the drums off back in Dec 2013 just to check them and they appeared to have lots of material left. I don't race around or anything, just my daily driver. Any ideas or should I just start buying my brakes in bulk and install them with a zipper? Kidding of course but it is very frustrating. I love the truck but these brake issues are annoying.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my first set of fronts at 72,000 km, and my second set at 130,000 km, which I'm still running now at 150,000 km.

A couple things come to mind...

1) Your rears may need to be adjusted.

2) Your driving habits. You may not "race around", but how briskly do you approach a red light?

3) Warped rotors doesn't necessarily mean worn-out rotors, but most likely uneven heating over time around their faces. Do you ever throw it in Neutral/Park at a red light after a quick stop to let the extra-hot pads release their pressure from warping a spot on the rotors...or at least give yourself enough distance behind the next stopped car at the light so you can creep a little bit to keep the rotors moving?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One of my rotors were warped at around 38000 KM. I got them done with OEM quality stuff and I now have 58000 and the pads already need replacing. They didn't bed correctly on one side for some reason so there was excessive wear on one pad and not as much with the other on the same rotor.

I do know that the rears need some work also, I'm getting a vibration when braking that is not felt through the steering wheel. It's not always there but if you pay attention to it and put enough pressure (braking on the highway to turn off) then you feel it.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I just had to replace my front pads and rotors, the inside of the rotor was shot and my steering wheel was shaking pretty good. When they checked the rear brakes, they were shot too. Probably due to city driving, going from red light to stop sign over and over again. Replaced just this past weekend, all new now and it feels great.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
transamlover50259
Rookie

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
They didn't bed correctly on one side for some reason so there was excessive wear on one pad and not as much with the other on the same rotor.
Usually when one pad is significantly more worn than the other on the same wheel it's due to the caliper not being able to slide on the bolts, when doing a brake job it is very important to make sure all parts are clean and can move easily before you put it all back together.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
transamlover50259
Rookie

Originally Posted by ForkliftJeff
I'm starting to think maybe the rear drum brakes are not performing well or not adjusted correctly? I'm not too sure. I pulled the drums off back in Dec 2013 just to check them and they appeared to have lots of material left.
If your front brakes are wearing out very rapidly and the rears don't seem to show any signs of wear, I would take that as an indicator that they are not doing their job. Does the parking brake work well? If you put the parking brake on and put the truck in gear will it hold the truck from moving?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

Thanks for your replies guys. I will definitely take a look at the rears. I usually slow down for lights nice and easy, especially if there are people in my truck or if I've got groceries or things that I don't want to move around. However, if I've had a shotty day at work or something is pissing me off, I tend to drive a little more aggressively. But for the most part I brake rather calmly and I pay attention to upcoming lights so I start slowing down for them well in advance. However once I am stopped I have never put it into neutral or park and i rarely creep forward, maybe I will try that more often.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

I always make sure everything is lubed up correctly and that my calipers slide nicely. I am a heavy equipment tech and I usually work on my truck at my buddies place who is an auto tech so he gives me pointers on auto specific jobs. I will check how well the park brake works. I hardly ever use it, usually only when I am launching my boat.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
bchapin05
Professional

I'm getting ready to do my fronts at 111k. I bought it at 100k though so I don't know when the previous owner did it last. Brake shop told me I was at 5% when they changed my oil. I'm assuming previous owner must have done the rears at some point because the shop didn't say anything about them and the parking brake works well.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:03 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by transamlover50259
Usually when one pad is significantly more worn than the other on the same wheel it's due to the caliper not being able to slide on the bolts, when doing a brake job it is very important to make sure all parts are clean and can move easily before you put it all back together.
I made very sure of that when i did the brakes. The one thing that is also happening on that one brake is that it squeaks every now and then, i think both the excess wear and the squeak is related. either way, it's not going to be my problem soon as it's being traded in due to the crappy customer service from Chrysler Canada and my local dealer with the transmission issue.

Quick Reply: Going through front brakes like crazy