3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

06 Transmission Temp Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:22 AM
ConceptX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Transmission Temp Issue

I have been having some issues with my transmission temp light on my truck. 2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie. The lights come on everyday now and when it comes on, my truck wants to shift through the gears quickly. Then when I give it more throttle while the light is on, it rides rough and doesnt shift well.

I have had the transmission replaced last summer, because the light was coming on then too. Transmission shop found debris when they dropped the pan and suggested replacing the transmission and putting in a new temp sensor. So after the new transmission was put in, the Tranny temp light started coming on the day after I got my truck back.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts on what I should be looking at or looking for? I am going to be hooking up a temp gauge soon, so I can monitor the temps when it goes off.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Ive been having the same thing happen to me. I have a 06 SLT 4.7 and my temp light comes on once in a while. Im probably going to have the repair done soon. Transmission shop says to replace the solenoid pack. Although i havent had to replace a whole trans like you have, my fluid and service was done only a couple years ago and all I do with my truck is commute. No towing or heavy loads. from what ive found out by reading other posts on here these OEM solenoid packs start to go bad near 80K...I just rolled over to 83K

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM
ConceptX

Thanks for the info about the Solenoid pack, I will read into that. I use my truck as well just for commuting. Could a bad Solenoid pack cause a loud howling noise when giving the truck moderate throttle? When im driving and just keeping my foot in the throttle to stay at a consistant speed, I get this loud howling noise but when I let off the throttle it stops. Another problem I cant figure out.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Originally Posted by ConceptX
Thanks for the info about the Solenoid pack, I will read into that. I use my truck as well just for commuting. Could a bad Solenoid pack cause a loud howling noise when giving the truck moderate throttle? When im driving and just keeping my foot in the throttle to stay at a consistant speed, I get this loud howling noise but when I let off the throttle it stops. Another problem I cant figure out.
Thanks again for the input.

Hey just food for thought...I was looking for other information and I came across maybe a related issue. When I Bought my truck I found a TSB # 21-007-06. I had the repair done a long time ago. the issue has to do with the trans engaging into first after a long parking session. ATF doesnt go into the torque converter right away causing a hard shift from park and your rpm will rev up but you the truck wont proceed foward. I know its not your specific issue but It might contribute to that noise your talking about. to me noise means something thats not getting lubrication(?) hope this helps! I didnt get this fixed for the first 1.5 yrs of owning my truck. Dealer was no help, and on top of that they closed. And then the Chrysler dealer didnt want to hear it either. they didnt make the sale in the first place. I was the one who had to spend countless hours surfing the net and I ended up calling corporate on the issue. corporate was awesome on this sort of thing. Chrystler seems to want their customers happy with the product they sell. They would call ME and actually stay in touch. This event is keeping me a dodge fan...my new truck will be a dodge/ram from here on out.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

I just posted to another thread about the status of my truck. I replaced the pack, 1035 dollars later im still experiencing the trans light coming on. Some of my research leads to the PCM. Shop is getting the truck again on wednesday. Keep you posted.

Quick Reply: 06 Transmission Temp Issue