3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Doing Struts Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:06 PM
bchapin05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing Struts Saturday

So I'm putting in Rancho RS5757's on Saturday. Also doing front pads and rotors. Think I'm going Napa premium Rotor and Adaptive One ceramic pads as I've read good things.

I don't have a garage so I'm driving up to my parents place to do the job which is in a small mountain town so we don't have access to a parts store unless we drive an hour and 20 minutes back.

My dad used to be a mechanic so he has a lot of tools. Just double checking anything I should take besides a coil spring compressor? I did a rough country leveling kit less than a year ago so I'm not worried about the lower bolt. Do people usually do a new strut mount kit with new struts? I assumed you just used the factory stuff. It didn't come with anything like that and I saw someone mention buying one in a strut thread.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Might as well replace the mounts while your in there. Cheap insurance.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:12 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Yeah I went ahead and grabbed some. I'm pretty certain they are original and it has 112k. Wish I could do the whole front end right now but just dropped almost 500 on brakes/struts/etc and I haven't actually priced it but assume upper/lower control, tie rods, and ball joints are another 500.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Got it all done. Wasn't too bad compressing the springs was easy. Had a few annoying issues but you always do. Love the Rancho's ride. A lot stiffer and doesn't feel like I'll roll in every corner now. Brakes are nice too.

Making a bit of noise when bouncing the front end. Everything is tight we double checked so I'm thinking its an upper ball joint. They were still pretty solid left to right but I think making noise up and down.

Quick Reply: Doing Struts Saturday