3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hate being the new guy but have a few quick questions

Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 AM
xNeed6SpeedX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate being the new guy but have a few quick questions

Apologize for doing the new guy things and asking questions there are probably answers out there to (will start reading through threads) but here it goes will keep the questions short and any you can answer is much appreciated.

info about truck.

05 4.7l 6speed 4x4 not the H/O 134,xxx miles

1. I start the engine, foot not on the clutch get a "squeak squeak squeak" has been getting worse. pressing the clutch changes pitch of the squeak and when in motion and shift get a slight whine..is this the throwout bearing or just a misalignment of some part in the clutch. Have been told a bad throwout wont make noise unless clutch is depressed and could be trans issues. could this just be the clutch fork?

2. Reverse is kind of a hard gear to get into with these getrags. yes/no?

3. People generally happy with the getrag 6 speeds?

4. currently using reg 5w/30 oil..should i switch to a half mix or full synth at next change?

5. Do you think the 6speeds are a fairly rare truck considering it was only in the 05' - 06'?

6. Should this truck get to 200k fairly easy / cheap? general question I know.

Thanks & any help appreciated.

Last edited by xNeed6SpeedX; 06-24-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:07 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#1. Sounds like a throw-out bearing
#2. My reverse goes in with out any issues : 175K
#3. I love mine
#4. Mobil 1 Full Syn High Mileage is what I use
#5. "Rare"? No. But manual transmission are not the majority
#6. I'm on my way to that mark. The only major components I have replaced are suspension and steering.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 AM
bchapin05
Professional

1. no idea.

2. no it shifts easy.

3. I like my six speed, just changed the tranny fluid this weekend and it shifts smoother than before although I felt it was fairly smooth before.

4. I usually run full Syn on my vehicles but I read that starting on syn with higher mileage can create leaks so I used the high mileage oil which has leak prevention in it. However my truck burns pretty much no oil with 112k so last time I just went back to regular oil. When I do it myself I always use syn as I can do it myself for cheap but I'm living in a townhouse now and have no garage so I just take it to have it done.

5. No idea I didn't even know that. I assumed all manuals in the 3rd gens were 6 speeds.

6. I know the engines are solid engines it will easily do 200k. Don't know when or if these have been replaced on yours but if not, I'd assume it might need struts or some front end parts at some point.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

1) no idea

2) no idea

3) no idea

4) I second the use of Mobil 1 full synthetic high milage. I use 10w30 to help quiet the engine tick.

5) I've never been in a manual Dak. Then again, I've only ever been in two Dakotas.

6) Results vary. Suspension wont last 65k miles probably. Just do regular maintenance and it should be fine.

8) WELCOME TO DODGE FORUM! Most people, like donkeypunch, are more helpful than me.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll just do a +1 on the transmission oil change. I've experienced hard shifting on other vehicles, did an oil change and it was all good afterwards. Make sure you use the correct oil for the transmission. Something that is designed to work with the brass components.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Welcome to the forum and dont waste your money on synthetic blend. That's a marketing gimmick. With that many miles, I'd stick with a conventional high mileage oil and a good filter. Do some searching around. Pretty much everything you could think of asking has been asked and answered.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
xNeed6SpeedX

Awesome thank you guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hate being the new guy but have a few quick questions