3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Key Fob Programming w/1 key

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Programming w/1 key

So all I have ever heard or read about programming a new/replacement key fob was that you needed 2 working originals or you have to take it to the dealership. Well since I only had 1 keyfob and the dealership wanted $75 to program a new one, I gave and dealt with a half broken fob for quite some time now. Well I got tired and did a quick 30 second google search and found out that you only need 1 working fob and about 60 seconds of your time and you can program a new fob. So I got some new fobs online and BAM!!!!!! It works, they both work great and I didnt have to pay anyone to do it for me. Then I just took them to a local hardware shop and they cut the keys for me for nothing. Here is the site, the instructions are on page 24 and 25.

https://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/m..._ND_Dakota.pdf

The following users liked this post:
tsawuer1234 (06-12-2022)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:15 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Does your truck have a 'chipped' key (probably not), or is it just an unlock / lock door fob?

The Sentry Key (chipped) info starts on page 10, with the programming for the chipped keys on page 12.

It starts with this:

Customer Key Programming
You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

Last edited by dakotaff; 07-08-2015 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tsawuer1234 (06-12-2022)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 AM
Bigred128
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damyankee84
So all I have ever heard or read about programming a new/replacement key fob was that you needed 2 working originals or you have to take it to the dealership. Well since I only had 1 keyfob and the dealership wanted $75 to program a new one, I gave and dealt with a half broken fob for quite some time now. Well I got tired and did a quick 30 second google search and found out that you only need 1 working fob and about 60 seconds of your time and you can program a new fob. So I got some new fobs online and BAM!!!!!! It works, they both work great and I didnt have to pay anyone to do it for me. Then I just took them to a local hardware shop and they cut the keys for me for nothing. Here is the site, the instructions are on page 24 and 25.

I read that as well. But the thing is I have no key fob to start with, so I have to go to the dealer I think or a locksmith

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 AM
Bigred128
Amateur

[QUOTE=dakotaff;3254013]Does your truck have a 'chipped' key (probably not), or is it just an unlock / lock door fob?

The Sentry Key (chipped) info starts on page 10, with the programming for the chipped keys on page 12.

It starts with this:

Customer Key Programming
You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:[/QUOTE
I do not have any key fobs, I just have a standard key that opens and starts the truck. The question I am asking is. Can I buy a key online and program it to my truck without taking it to the dealer and not having any key fob what so ever.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM
dakotaff
Champion

No, you cannot buy and program a FOB yourself. You need to go to a Dealer, or some locksmiths can do it for you.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There are also aftermarket fob suppliers. There is one in my city but YMMV. They can do the whole programming thing as well, if you can find one. They plug in a computer to your test port and flash program it for you.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Bigred128
Amateur

Ahhhh makes sense. I will have to call around and see what the best price is

Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Taylor and Allen Martin

Originally Posted by damyankee84

great...this is exactly what I need but the link is no longer valid. Anyone else have the info on 1 key fob programming ?

Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by Taylor and Allen Martin
great...this is exactly what I need but the link is no longer valid. Anyone else have the info on 1 key fob programming ?
I believe that link was for an Owners Manual, if you don't have one, click HERE.

Last edited by dakotaff; 09-17-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Programming w/1 key