3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4x2 to 4x4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion

My Dakota if 4x2 and I want to convert it to 4x4. From the looks under the body, every thing should just bolt on. What difficulties should I expect to encounter and any recommendations?

Last edited by pyrofossil; 11-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your truck is a 4x2. A 2x4 is a piece of wood...

Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new 4x4 truck?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You would need a donor truck to start with. Need a new PCM (or have yours flashed to enable 4X4, if thats possible), transfer case, front diff, front end parts (not sure if control arms, etc are the same on both), new front and rear drive shafts, wiring harness(s), probably new gauge cluster. It's not as simple as swapping out/installing the mechanicals. I'm sure it could be done, but in the end, it would be easier to just buy a 4x4.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IGNORE THE NAY SAYERS!

But yeah most people say either buy a donor truck or a new truck.

The 4x4 Dakota is exactly the same as the 4x2 just with extra parts and different programming. No shared parts, including the frame and diff mounting points, are different between the two aside from the shorter drive shaft, unless there is a massive tail on the trans of a 4x2.

But on the mechanical side you will need a C205F IFS axle (matching gear ration preferably) with two CV half shaft assemblies (the 4x2 hubs will work as 4x4 if the splines aren't rusted out), a front drive shaft, a new transfer case ( luckily there are options from other Chrysler products that are direct fit like the factory NV244 & NV233 that are mechanical shifting so a new PCM/flash can be avoided) and a new rear driveshaft that is shorter. Some one else will have to chime in if there is an adapter from the 545RFE or 42LE that is required as I am sunburned and unwilling to go look for myself.

But the 3" leveling kit will destroy the CV axles constantly so it might be better to go another route. Long travel trucks are beasts and substitute momentum with traction. Same cost as converting to 4x4 as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM
pyrofossil
Professional

Looks like I will have to wait a while and might as well look into a SAS as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrofossil
Looks like I will have to wait a while and might as well look into a SAS as well.
If you're planning on doing any "real" off-roading, the SAS may be the best option.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
pyrofossil
Professional

Originally Posted by Tom A
If you're planning on doing any "real" off-roading, the SAS may be the best option.
No, I'm not planning on going to the Moab or anything, but going off road in general is tuff when you know 50 yds in and your going to be stuck. My truck is getting a over haul right now, all the dents and 1 new door that already had 1in of bondo. So my next project is to do the 4x4 conversion but it looks like I will be spending upwards of at least 3k. I would say it's worth looking into a SAS.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with i.who.made.you. Get a mechanical shifting Transfer case, you wouldn't have to get a new PCM that way.

If you stick with the IFS, you'll either need to drop the front differential or go with a 2 inch lift vs your current 3 inch lift. even 2.5 can be a little much causing the CV's to bind a full droop, causing premature failure.

a differential drop kit is available from Jack My Ride and a few others.

The transfer case bolts in the place of the tail shaft on the dakota. you might need to check if your transmission comes with a mechanical shifting transfer case in another vehicle, if so, you can get one of those transfer cases which would then make connecting them together easier. no need for an adapter.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 PM
pyrofossil
Professional

I have the Getrag 238 tranny, so just to clarify the transfer case is bolt on?

Quick Reply: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion