3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dodge Dakota modelST, Replaced ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 PM
DodgeVI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Dakota modelST, Replaced ECM

Well the truck was perfectly fine until it was jumped with a welder... The battery had gone dead during a detailing and then someone had the brilliant idea to jump it with a welder.

SO, I checked everything knowing that the ECM was probably fried. Everything checked out conditioned the battery and bridged at the starter, she turned over, but no start. ST model, no electric door locks, no power windows, no alarm that I can see. The guy did say he saw smoke come out of the center dash vents above the radio, but it stopped immediately.

No other option but the ECM right...ordered one, installed it...all the warning and indicator lights turn on, doors ding...the works. No crank, nothing.

Could really use some advice, I'm on the Island of St. Thomas and replacing a dome light costs $200.00, insane expensive here. HELP !!

Checked all connection, no issues.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats a sad story, basically all electrical components are possibly damaged. I'd start with the easy stuff like the fuses of the starting circuit. Trace voltage, a wiring diagram would be a big help.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 AM
stonny9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No insurance there? Even the homeowner/shop/business insurance. Likely numerous fried electronics. Did you check and recheck all the fuses? Try jumping the starter with direct power. I have done it with a screw driver or any metal tool that has a non conductive handle. If it turns over then starter is good bonus if it actually starts up. Doesnt then possible solenoid or something further up the line.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is the mil or cel on? if so try and read the codes, could be a simple crank or cam positioning sensor

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Dakota modelST, Replaced ECM