3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

OBD II Sensor Error Reading

Old 08-01-2015, 04:25 PM
trevquinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II Sensor Error Reading

My Question:
How do I remove the check engine light?
My Innotech 3100 OBD II Code Reader gets an error signal every time it reads my Dakota.
Though it works on all other 5 models of vehicles in my household.
This same reader diagnosed my truck 2 years earlier in 2013.
I own a Dodge Dakota SLT 2007 V6 3.5L King Cab.
My check engine light comes on and off throughout its lifetime.
In 2013, I had a reading of p0303. Which indicates a 3rd cylinder misfiring.
I corrected that problem, however, since then the check engine light continues to reappear at times, and disappear for no reason at all, also for equal amounts of time.
Now as I try to pass SMOG this year, my emissions are great from being tested, but the check engine light is causing me not to get my SMOG certificate.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I moved your post to the 3rd gen forum.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Try another reader just to eliminate that as the problem. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 PM
trevquinn

Originally Posted by Jaded
Try another reader just to eliminate that as the problem. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.
Thanks. In California they're telling me that its illegal for them to do so. And said to buy another. Will ask a buddy if they got one before buying another

Old 08-02-2015, 08:41 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a partially clogged catalytic converter. When you had the misfire, the cat on the side of the misfire started to clog up and the O2 sensor is most likely dirty as well, causing the intermittent check engine light.

buy the aerosol Seafoam and do the spray treatment from the front of the throttle body. The liquid one that you do using a vacuum line is too much work if you ask me but if you pick the correct line, it's just as good. This should clean up the cat for you, and at the same time, clean the throttle body, intake manifolds, the top of the valves, the cylinder walls, the top of the pistons, the exhaust manifolds and some of the rest of the exhaust.

Made a huge difference for me after my misfire incident i was getting. Even with new plugs and coils, i had a random misfire that kept occurring that was caused by a clogged cat, too much exhaust pressure on the driver's side exhaust causing spent exhaust to be re compressed. after the seafoam, the truck breathed better then when i got it.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM
trevquinn

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
sounds like a partially clogged catalytic converter. When you had the misfire, the cat on the side of the misfire started to clog up and the O2 sensor is most likely dirty as well, causing the intermittent check engine light.

buy the aerosol Seafoam and do the spray treatment from the front of the throttle body. The liquid one that you do using a vacuum line is too much work if you ask me but if you pick the correct line, it's just as good. This should clean up the cat for you, and at the same time, clean the throttle body, intake manifolds, the top of the valves, the cylinder walls, the top of the pistons, the exhaust manifolds and some of the rest of the exhaust.

Made a huge difference for me after my misfire incident i was getting. Even with new plugs and coils, i had a random misfire that kept occurring that was caused by a clogged cat, too much exhaust pressure on the driver's side exhaust causing spent exhaust to be re compressed. after the seafoam, the truck breathed better then when i got it.
Thanks will give it a try

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD II Sensor Error Reading