3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shaky Truck

Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

HERE is the whole TSB for the brake shuddering issue.

Last edited by dakotaff; 09-01-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

^^Awesome!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck does this but oddly my rear axle isnt the one under the tsb.i have a v8 the one in the tsb covers is generally installed in v6 models. probably another case of a manufacture trying to duck dive and dodge (lol) a problem they know exists. once a enough people die in accidents they will get sued by dewey takem and how. the lawyers will get rich and the folks get ten bucks.

Last edited by h2ogunr; 09-01-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by h2ogunr
my truck does this but oddly my rear axle isnt the one under the tsb.i have a v8 the one in the tsb covers is generally installed in v6 models. probably another case of a manufacture trying to duck dive and dodge (lol) a problem they know exists. once a enough people die in accidents they will get sued by dewey takem and how. the lawyers will get rich and the folks get ten bucks.
Don't know of anyone who has died yet from a shaky brake.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:29 PM
baross1
Rookie

I posted a few months back, my '06 had the same problem. After replacing front pads and rotors, still there. Replaced rear brakes, still there. Bought new drums at Auto Zone, still there.
Took it to my boss's mechanic. He took me for a ride and used the emergency brake to stop us while holding the brake release. That pin pointed the problem to the rear brakes. He turned the new drums( which were about the worst he had seen), and the problem was gone.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Trucks have too many problems this should be covered by Dodge !!!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie

some are determined to worship the throne that dodge sits upon, im not one of those guys. a spade is a spade.

the problem will go away after you turn the drums but trust me it will be back. you can find old threads here that say the same.

i still think something is up with the rear brakes and axles. there are two different spring kits for the rear brakes, some improved set and the standard set. yet getting the improved set of brakes shoes proved for me futile.

the holes need to be in different places for the new set of springs.

worship the dodge brothers all you like i would to if they would just come clean and tell what the problem is so i can fix it.

i believe the corporate axle is jacked up like the other one and its aggravated somehow by the brakes. slop in the bearings or races or bent axles, perhaps improperly balanced axles. i dont know but ill bet dodge does.

oh all the car companies are the same though so lube up.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Mark2002

I just started getting the braking vibration in my 2007 with 73k miles. I replaced the front pads and rotors about 16k miles ago before I started getting the vibration, so I thought the rotors went bad already. Rear shoes were low so I did them last weekend, but the drums looked fine. I will turn them and see what happens. It feels like it is in the front, but I will give it the e-brake test to see if I can isolate it. Not much meat on the stock rotors or drums from the factory (hopefully I can turn them)

Last edited by Mark2002; 10-26-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: revised
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 PM
209dave
Default how much?

Originally Posted by baross1
I posted a few months back, my '06 had the same problem. After replacing front pads and rotors, still there. Replaced rear brakes, still there. Bought new drums at Auto Zone, still there.
Took it to my boss's mechanic. He took me for a ride and used the emergency brake to stop us while holding the brake release. That pin pointed the problem to the rear brakes. He turned the new drums( which were about the worst he had seen), and the problem was gone.
How much was it to turn the drums, approx?

Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 209dave
How much was it to turn the drums, approx?
Been quite a few years back that I checked into this - was for another vehicle, not the Dakota. but the auto parts store near me wanted $20 per drum. That seemed expensive so I just bought new ones instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaky Truck