3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3rd Gen Dakota Headlight Switch

Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
TruthSayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Dakota Headlight Switch

Hey guys, I have a 2005 Dakota SLT 4x2... Occasionally the headlights will not turn off when I rotate the know to the left. I will have to double rotate back and forth to get them to go out. My question is this: Can I upgrade to a new switch with the "Auto Off" function if I didn't previously have this feature?? I have another question which pertains to the drivers seat... Do I need to post that in a different thread?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If not equipped. You can add the components, but the dealer will need to "turn on" the feature.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Adding just the switch will not give you auto headlights. There's more to the system than just the switch.

What's up with the seat? Might as well do it here too.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 PM
TruthSayer

Okay, thanks for the information on the headlight switch... Now for the seat issue, On the drivers side seat there is the lever to recline the seat. The lever is fine, however the connecting shaft that is made of plastic is broken. I can't seem to locate this part anywhere online that I have looked. On one end the rod has teeth to engage the actual lever, on the other end it engages the seat reclining feature. I need this connecting rod.

Thanks,

Old 02-06-2016, 01:44 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Click the link below for the 2005 Dodge Dakota Parts Manual. Hopefully you can find the part number in there.
Download the page to your computer for future reference in case the link goes dead, which they usually do.

http://site.factorymoparparts.com/ca...DGE-DAKOTA.PDF

The front seat listings begin on page 321.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:09 AM
Brand
Professional

Originally Posted by TruthSayer
Occasionally the headlights will not turn off when I rotate the kno[b] to the left. I will have to double rotate back and forth to get them to go out.
I know this thread is more than a year old, but . . .

This sounds to me like perfectly normal behavior.

If you turn the key OFF with the headlamps still on, they will not go dark as soon as you turn the switch to the left. They'll remain on for about a minute while you exit the vehicle, in order to illuminate the surrounding area for you.

If you don't wish them to remain on for those sixty seconds, a quick ON-and-back-OFF will bypass the timer and darken the headlamps immediately.

If you don't want to go through that, just remember to turn the headlamps off BEFORE turning off the ignition.

Perfectly normal, as designed.

Last edited by Brand; 03-29-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Dakota Headlight Switch