3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shaky Truck

Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 PM
trevorrawson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaky Truck

When I brake at high speeds or after driving for a while my dakota shimmies like it's nobody's business. It's annoying. I figured it was the rotors so today I put on new ones and threw some new pads on there for good measure. Didn't help, wasted money.

A few months ago I had my rear drum brakes redone from a friends uncle who gave me a great price. Now I fear he used cheap parts and they warped on me. Would the rear brakes cause that much shaking? It's a lot.

The thing is, it doesn't happen near as bad when I first start driving my truck in the morning. It seems to get worse as the day goes on.

I've read that it could be bad struts. Is that possible? I don't want to keep throwing money at this and in order to take it to the mechanic I'd have to take some time off work which I really can't afford. Not sure why they are only open when everyone else is working too! Can't blame them though, nobody likes working weekends.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine does that too, but since it rarely happens I just live with it.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM
transamlover50259
Rookie

Curious if he put new drums on it or just turned them on a brake lathe...

Old 08-26-2015, 10:04 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

IIRC there was a known problem wit the rear axle shafts inside the axle being the cause of rear end vibrations on some early trucks. There were threads on the subject awhile back, I can't seem to find them. I believe there was a TSB or something where they replaced the shafts.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaded
Mine does that too, but since it rarely happens I just live with it.
Heh i was driving a truck like that also, i think that problem improved my driving skills to be honest xD

Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
IIRC there was a known problem wit the rear axle shafts inside the axle being the cause of rear end vibrations on some early trucks. There were threads on the subject awhile back, I can't seem to find them. I believe there was a TSB or something where they replaced the shafts.
The TSB I believe you are referring to is below.

TSB 05-002-06

SUBJECT:
Shudder While Braking

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the rear brake shoes and, if necessary, the axle shafts and refacing the front brake rotors.

MODELS:
2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before January 31, 2006 (MDH 0131XX).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A vibration or shudder in the brake pedal when the brakes are applied at highway speeds.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Thank you Jack!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do me a favor, check the tire pressure, could be off, seems you stated when your driving things tend to heat up. also if the tires are getting old, the bands inside could be slipping a belt or two.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

My 2006 does this too and it drives me crazy (no pun intended). I replaced the front rotors and brake in April and it still does it. A couple weeks ago I checked and leveled out the air pressure in the tires. That helped some, but it will still shimmy and shake when I break at highway speeds. What is involved in the axle shaft replacement? Does the TSB mean Dodge will fix it for free?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

TSB normally you have to pay for unless you are still under warranty. I wish I could find that thread. There are only a certain production batch (if you will) that was affected and there are numbers stamped on the rear brake backing plates that have to match the TSB for it to be considered. The post that Dodgecares made specifies whats involved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaky Truck