3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Learned something new and may help others

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM
travle
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learned something new and may help others

Found this in an article i read last night. while letting my truck idle and A/C clutch cycling I noticed my tensioner was moving a lot and even more when the A/C clutch cycled on. I put my wife's medical stethoscope to the tensioner's mounting surface and when the A/C clutch cycled it would knock bad while the clutch was going. couldn't hear it without the stethoscope . Since i have been searching through this forum to try to resolve my issues I have, I have seen a lot of P0300 codes mentioned and don't remember seeing this as a possible solution.

Although rare, there are times when a bad belt, a bad tensioner or a bad idler pulley can cause the Check Engine light to go on. The most common of these admittedly uncommon scenarios unfolds like this: The OBD II Misfire Monitor looks for variation in the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal to determine whether each cylinder has fired and contributed power to the engine. A sticking bearing in any of the accessory pulleys or a hammering tensioner that has lost its dampening function can also give rise to misfire DTCs as the rhythmic beats affect the CKP output by causing a sudden increase in belt load, momentarily slowing the harmonic balancer and the crankshaft itself. This condition can then be incorrectly identified as a misfire—usually a P0300, but occasionally a cylinder-specific (P030x) fault.

I do have a bad tensioner and I do have a cylinder-specific misfire that when the check engine light comes on after multiple drives it will turn off without me doing anything. Maybe this could resolve that problem.

My other problems are slight acceleration problems, possible poor gas mileage, and rough idling. And reading into that i found the Crankshaft position sensor could be at fault. Other signs are stalling, difficult starting or no start, and of course 1 or more cylinder misfires. Not saying the Sensor could be the sole reason, but if you try everything else with no luck then it could be. I have the Factory service manual but can't find anywhere that it states the Sensors location. Does anyone know?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:00 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

100_0916.jpg

Not sure if you have the 3.7 (first picture below) or 4.7 (second picture below).

100_0913.jpg

100_0914.jpg

Here's a thread to check out, ignore the picture posted in there.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...kota-4-7l.html

Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 AM
travle
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot for that info. I have the 3.7 and according to my build sheet whoever originally bought the truck had the VLP 4 Speed Trans put on along with the 3.92 gear ratio, limited slip differential, 265/60/R18 tires, and Aluminum Chrome wheels, and a bunch of other stuff. Never could figure out why no tire place showed that tire size as an option for my truck only showed 2 different ones for a 16 inch rim. Now I know.

Quick Reply: Learned something new and may help others