3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tranny fluid temp lifht

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM
mproc18
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid temp lifht

Hey everyone. My tranny fluid temp light keeps periodically coming on and turning off. When it comes on the truck starts shifting erratically. When it's not on the truck shifts perfectly. I did change the antifreeze and that hasn't helped it. Does anyone know where the sensor is? Thinking the sensor might be bad. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Coolant wont help the transmission fluid temp. Have you checked the fluid level and condition? How many miles?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 PM
mproc18
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Coolant wont help the transmission fluid temp. Have you checked the fluid level and condition? How many miles?
Fluid level is good and truck has 160k but this tranny has about 40k.

Gonna try to find the sensor tomorrow. The truck shifts totally and completely fine until the overheating light turns on then it immediately jumps about 600 rpms and down shifts exremely rough. Usually if I shut it off and restart it right away it goes off and drives completely fine again.

Thanks for the help. Always appreciate it.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM
chrisnoel

Having a similar problem with my light but none of the shifting symptoms you described. It was winter when I had the shifting problems so I changed the fluid and found one of my filters blown open. Shifting has been fine since. Now that its summer my temp light is acting up. Fluid is clean and new and the light seems to have a mind of it's own. wont come on during the hottest days but will when I'm idling waiting for the wife in the store on a cool day it comes on and off. The sensor goes bad from what I read in other threads on this site.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid temp lifht