3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08 Dakota 4.7 Spark Plug coil on boot stuck

Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM
joeblow33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Dakota 4.7 Spark Plug coil on boot stuck

How to remove spark plug coil on boot. Plugs have never been changed, rubber on the boots are stuck, how to remove without ripping them ? Don't want to tear them out and have to buy new ones.

Also is there a special socket to remove the bottom spark plugs, a regular 5/8 spark plug socket won't slide in.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:57 AM
joeblow33

Well I found a thinner diameter spark plug socket by cruztools, so I can change the lower plugs now. Still not sure how to remove the coil packs without ripping the rubber.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

are asking about how to remove a coil pack from the plug? you would do that the same way you would do an old school spark plug cable, twist as you pull, using constant pressure, not jerking. if one rips, then it rips. there is nothing different that you can do since the coil is directly on the plug and it's down a long hole. Not in my experience anyways. i did mine on my 3.7 multiple times due to misfire issues, and never ripped one even though they seemed stuck.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Jimmy Knuckles

I've got a 2007 3.7L with which I've been having a heck of a time. Snapping the studs retaining the coil packs has been my problem plus one is backing out of the intake manifold and I can't seem to figure out how it is retained. It comes out so far and then just rotates.
As far as sticking to the spark plug, one guy said the fastest way to deal with it if a boot tears is to put a screwdriver down the hole and deliberately snap the porcelain off. You can then pull the pieces out and use a spark plug socket to get the metal half out.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 PM
joeblow33

Managed to get the coil packs out by doing it when the engine was hot. Only ripped one boot. I will pull one from the wreckers next time I'm there. The spark plug socket isn't fitting in the two lower passenger ones, so I will have to grind down the socket diameter to fit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Dakota 4.7 Spark Plug coil on boot stuck