3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota in Snow, Need New Tires?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM
wmuav8tor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota in Snow, Need New Tires?

Hello,

Last October I bought a V8 2 wheel drive 2005 Dakota SLT with 76,000 miles. I don't drive it much because its actually my 2nd vehicle but last winter, the only time it really snowed good (had a mild winter in Michigan!) I went to drive to the airport, and even on a plowed road I had absolutely no traction. I managed to get about 2 miles but it was pretty scary because it kept wanting to fishtail into the other lane anytime I put any power at all to it. I finally spun out on a small hill after stopping for a stop sign. I backed down and pulled over. I watched other 2 wheel drive trucks go through the intersection and go up the hill with very little issue. I put my tire chains I always cary in the winter on and had no trouble at all with traction after that. I had ~500 pounds of sand bags in the truck bed over the rear axle.

Now my question, has anyone else had issues in the snow with their Dakota's? My dad had one years ago but I don't recall it ever struggling.

I'm mainly thinking my tires are my problem, I tried asking the dealer I bought it from how much tread was left but his response was "Oh, probably another couple years worth" And my normal mechanic just told me "Oh, its still pretty good" My current tires are General Grabber HTS tires, the sidewall says they were manufactured in 2012 (I attached a picture of my tire)

I am considering getting new tires before this winter, I want to get LT tires because I am planning on buying a 3000# camping trailer in the spring. What would be good light truck tires that will get decent traction in snow, and be good for towing? I'm leaning towards Michelins. Do you think new tires will help for this winter or is there something else I should look into?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are going to drive in snow, you need real, honest to goodness SNOW tires, on all four corners. These tires might be good for a couple more summers, if they are dry.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
If you are going to drive in snow, you need real, honest to goodness SNOW tires, on all four corners. These tires might be good for a couple more summers, if they are dry.
YES. nothing gives snow and ice traction in winter like true winter tire. close second is an all weather tire (new type of tire that has good snow and ice performance and good tread life. more on these later). far third is an all terrain (when properly designed). and not even in the running are the all season tires.

the Grabber HTS is definitely not a snow tire, some would actually consider it a 3 season tire (i'm one of those). the Grabber AT2 is also not a snow tire but i had excellent traction when i had them on my Dakota. in 2WD i would slide around in on ice but when it was just snow i had no issues. The Goodyear Duratrac is also a good option for on/off road and snow performance.

You didn't mention what size you are looking for, or even where you are located so tire selection could be different. I would strongly recommend the Nokian Rotiiva AT plus. the AT plus is their LT rated tire range. I have them on my Sorento and where i was sliding around even when i locked the center diff before, after i was firmly planted in winter. I life in North Eastern Ontario.

I get lots of snow during winter and in the fall and spring get some heavy snow/rain mix alot. These tires have saved me multiple times. They are an all weather design and i kept them all year round and heading down dirt roads i've had no issues. In fact, at times i've felt more confident in my Sorento then i did in my Dakota with the Grabber AT2 tires. I would have loved to have found these when i had my Dakota, but they were not made yet. I've put about 5 000 KM on them so far and barely have any wear. Nice and quiet down the road and have great traction in all conditions I've thrown at them, pavement, dirt, gravel, mud, snow, ice, highway, (yes, i've gone mudding in my sorento... lol)

Last edited by pierrejoly; 09-26-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 AM
Suzonda
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd highly recommend going with a set of 215/65R16 Falken Ziex ZE950. Have them on my '02 Sport, '03 Caravan and both '06 Sportages and I wouldn't recommend anything else. They out perform any tire I've used for the road. 2nd best would be the General Altimax Arctic. I had them on a multitude of vehicles and they will go through ANYTHING. Snow, slush, mud, up hills, down slopes... anywhere. On my work route here in Maine there's some pretty gnarly roads when it comes to winter traveling. The Altimax's managed to pull my '93 Taurus SHO hauling a '78 Nova sedan (on a 2 wheel car dolly mind you) up 25* inclined corner where the AWD Exlploder cop, semi, and other vehicles I passed were stuck in their tracks.

The ZE 950s I bought new in Oct of 2014 for my '03 van w/ 83k. W/ over 67k on them they still look brand new and only lost 1/8 tread. Wet performance is phenomenal, loose sand, dirt, corning are very good, but not once over 2 winters did I ever loose control or even spin a tire when it came to acceleration in snow. I used to love GY Wrangler Radials for my '98 and '97 ZJs, but I'd bet my life on the ZE 950s. The whole install was $532.78.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ziex_ze950_as.jpg (33.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Suzonda; 10-04-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:51 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Goodyear Duratrac, which are great in snow, at least with my 4WD Dakota. I had Winterforce tires for two winters, and they did great too.

With only rear wheel drive in a pickup, not sure if any tire will be great for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dakota in Snow, Need New Tires?