3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Security system armed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:38 PM
daktowmi74vw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system armed

I have a 2006 4.7 automatic 170 thousand miles. Replace the battery in my truck last night. when I hooked up the negative cable the flashers and the headlights both started flashing a little red light on the dashboard is blinking the truck starts and I can drive around. My key fob buttons are broken the key has been working in the ignition for four years I cannot arm or disarm the alarm because of the key being broken. Been searching for answers on this since last night kind of stuck on what to do

Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a new fob programmed. It's the only way to disarm it. There are no cylinder switches to disarm it with a key turn. If you get the security disabled with a scan tool, the FOB functions will not work.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

I have skimmed through the manual and come up short.
I can tell you the red light is indicating the security system is set/ready.
So, with your fob buttons not working you just unlock the door with the key. Has this security system been disabled before? Maybe something a dealer has to do.
I know if you use the key to unlock the door and the alarm goes off, you can put the key in the ignition and turn it and the alarm will quit. I know you can´t do this everyday, that will upset the neighbors, so how have you been doing this before the battery replacement?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:44 PM
daktowmi74vw
Amateur

Not long after buying the truck my son was pushing the buttons on the key, next thing I know the key buttons wouldnt work. Ive been unlocking and locking the door manually ever sinse then with no issues. Finally after six years I go to replace the battery and this happens. Also I had to get a jump so I could drive and get a battery before this happened and at some point in that ride the tire pressure light came on and I don't have that. Now that light stays on when I start the engine.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 PM
daktowmi74vw
Amateur

Today I went to move the truck up into my work space but when I connected the battery the transfer case shifter went crazy and now is stuck in neutral!
I think it's time to send it to the dealership. I'm so lost as to why changing a battery has become such a headache!

Old 03-14-2017, 11:45 PM
daktowmi74vw
Amateur
Default Stuck!

So the trucks been a statue of a truck just sitting there. The engine starts but won't go into gear. The transfer case is stuck in neutral. My headlights turn signals brake lights flash like the alarm is going minus the sound never comes on. Took the truck to my local Dodge dealership "autonation👎" got into with them over wanting me to pony up $700 plus $125 diagnostic to complete the diagnostic!!! Took my truck told them I'm not paying for nothing you didn't do. Now I'm lost feeling overwhelmed with the type of work needed to fix the truck and untrusting of anyone else to do so. Anyone got any advice, maybe suggestions on people to go to? I'm all ears 👂 also I'm in northern Los Angeles county with as many people as there are here there's got to be someone who can help!

Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM
keithhud
Professional

Find a locksmith that can program your fob. My 08 did this to me one time where the security light came on while I was driving so I pulled over and shut the truck off and it would start, the fob wouldn't lock the doors so I had to lock the with the key.

Called a tow truck and when we opened the doors the alarm went off and the only way to shut it off was by disconnecting the battery. I had it towed to the dealership and they called and gave me the 3rd degree for locking the doors with the key instead of the fob! I told the service manager that the fob wouldn't work and so we go up to the truck and he unlocks the truck with the fob and then starts it up like nothing happen?

So after $125.00 diagnostic fee I am back on the road. I've never had a problem with it since and that was like 5 years ago.

Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first order of business, pull your transfer case switch fuse, see if truck will go back into drive. also leave battery disconnected over night to completely clear the system. hook up battery and start and stop truck 3 times, on third start up leave truck running for about 5 minutes, the computer need to relearn, see if this helps.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM
daktowmi74vw
Amateur
Default Update

As luck would have it a customer at my work was an employee at Dodge for years and was able to bring a factory scan tool and plug into my truck and poke around. Of course the scanner said everything was fine and couldn't detect an issue, but having a good knowledge on these vehicles paid off when he was able to pin point the front control module maybe acting up. So next was to swap out the fcm lucky for me he had one for a c300 that plugged in and guess what? Lights and everything fixed!!!!!!!!!!!
but the temp light came on so just to be sure he put the original back on and it started working fine?????? So I've been driving it for 600+ miles and everything is fine. Just FYI the light silver box behind the fuse box can really mess your truck up when it glitches!!!!!!!!