3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Interior (dome) Light Wiring

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts
Talking Interior (dome) Light Wiring

I want to add some LED interior lighting under the dash, where is the most convenient place to tie into the dome light circuit? I have the wiring diagrams, but it shows no fuse dedicated to that circuit, so I need to find the wires, i.e where they come from under the dash. Just wondering if anyone has done this and where did you find the power wire for the dome lights under the dash.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check page 2254 of the service manual. Also, I know the wires are present on the passenger side pillar post..

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need some more clarification. Are you looking to add lighting when you activate your dome lights? Or are you looking for more interior lights when you activate your parking/exterior lighting?

Here is what I would do if you cannot find the information for a quick install.

Get a good volt meter from radio shack, lowes, etc.

Test the wires and locate the switched 12V sources. Most people like to use "vampire" style connectors. Personally, I like to cut the insulator off, solder the connections, and heat shrink.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be tapping off the wire up by the dome light, after the manual switch. I would wire the two seperate dome lights to the right (passanger) side switch. I would then tap the hot wire off the left (driver) side switch, and run that under the dash. Reasoning: the LED lights you add will come on when you unlock your truck, open the door, or use the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel to turn on the dome lights. You will also be able to manually turn on the LED lights with the overhead drivers side switch. You will loose ability to turn on each dome light seperatly, but if you need light you can turn both on with the passanger side switch. Sorry for the long explanation, but this was how I was planning on wiring up some running lights.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

All just remember that the can-buss operates all lighting and will use the circuit draw sense or battery saver to turn off the lights if on for a period of time. To get around that you need to connect to a non can-b light circuit or to battery power direct

Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yea, I want them to come on with the dome light when either opening a door or activitaing the unlock with the remote. I know which wire it is from the diagram, I just needed to know where the wires come down to the dash from the ceiling (left or right side pillar). I was just going to tie right into the line that is hot when the door is opened.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wires come down passenger side pillar, very simple to see and get to once you take off the pillar (two screws).

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
smoker911

Hey JKeaton ,,That is what I've wanted to do. I have mine installed under the glove box and under dash on Drivers side .But don't know where the wires r .So when you find the wire can u let me know so I can finish hooking mine up OK please thanks a lot ,,,,,,,,,,,marc

Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Thanks Hammond...two screws and a few feet of wire, I'm all set. New LED's under the dash that come on when the doors are opened. Very cool! They are LED's, so I don't see an issue with loading the circuit down and having to use a relay. This forum is great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior (dome) Light Wiring