3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need new starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:07 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman7000
Update: I rented an OBDII scanner and got several codes, but cleared them out. I was left with the following 2 codes:

P0633 SKIM secret key not stored in PCM
P0513 Invalid SKIM key

I assume that my conversion to power window/locks and keyless entry are what have caused these errors. My PCM wasn't programmed for it so I guess that's why its not allowing it to start. its been fine for the past 2 months since I switched it over so its weird that it would show up now. Oh well, I guess a tow trip to the stealership is next.
Unfortunately yes, you will need dealer assistance at this point. I don't think it is related to your addition of power locks/windows, this sounds like the transponder chip info got erased. Usually this happens due to a magnetic field strong enough, which could be similar to the demagnitizers at the store check out counter. The dealer will have to use the computer to reprogram.
Please update once it resolved, I would like to know how it all went.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

Update: So the truck has been at the dealer for a couple of days now and all they are saying is I need a new PCM. I took them the PCM from the other truck and they put it in, but they're still getting an invalid key error. I took the second key yesterday to see if it would work, but they didn't have the SKIM module connected so it would work and ended up locking up the second PCM. I hope that after 24 hours it will reset and I'll try the second key again, but I'm feeling extremely defeated. I don't want to pay the dealership $1,600 for a new PCM. I found this site that sells "remanufactured" units. Has anyone had experience with replacing one like this?
http://www.acrautos.com/2006-dodge-d...-computer.html

Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

So I shipped my PCM to a company (not the one in my last post) that refurbishes them and they were able to erase the error codes. I plugged it in and it started right away. I reconnected the keyless entry and remote starter and it all works again.

Lesson learned: NEVER take it to the stealership again.