3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Replacing chrome trim bumper with solid

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing chrome trim bumper with solid

I am going to replace my front aftermarket chrome trim bumper that looks like crap with an aftermarket solid bumper. I want to paint it with a black, tough, and flexible material. Any ideas on what will spray on easily and look good? The bumper comes primed, so if I use the proper paint, it should adhere very well as long as it is flexible since the bumper is plastic.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

If you want tough and donīt mind a textured look/feel, spray on bed liner would work.
If you want something you could remove shall you change your mind later on color, plasti dip will be good.
Rustoleum makes a paint for plastic, I have not used that on anything, so no experience with it, but is says for automotive plastics.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeman1977
If you want tough and donīt mind a textured look/feel, spray on bed liner would work.
If you want something you could remove shall you change your mind later on color, plasti dip will be good.
Rustoleum makes a paint for plastic, I have not used that on anything, so no experience with it, but is says for automotive plastics.
Bedliner is my first choice, but I've read many sites say it will come off if the underlying surface is flexible, like a plastic front bumper.

I'll look into the Rustoleum brand plastic paint and possibly others, thanks!