3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering rack bad. Any upgrades?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:40 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering rack bad. Any upgrades?

Like it says. Rack is wandery. Play galore. Sticky. Surges. Hard to track a straight line.

Would a Ram rack be any heavier duty? Would it be fit-able? Is a new dak rack gonna fare any better than the original? Not finding much on this.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Sure its the rack? Usually hard to track symptoms are worn joints, steering shaft, tie rods etc. Pulsing is usually pump related. Racks usually just leak when they go bad.

Howe performance racks if you got the coin.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
Sure its the rack? Usually hard to track symptoms are worn joints, steering shaft, tie rods etc. Pulsing is usually pump related. Racks usually just leak when they go bad.

Howe performance racks if you got the coin.
Yeah, I've got play in the shaft too. Trying to eliminate that first and see whats up. Noticed that the wheel is crooked now too. Alignment and tie rods seem to be fine.

On top of all this, the wheel seems to surge or push back a little when i push it off center when I'm parked. Its weird. It has a dead spot where the play is, and then it meets resistance when it starts to steer, then it gets easy. Makes it very hard to not look drunk on the road. I had a sticky/corroded steering shaft u joint 2 years ago that ive kept lubricated, but I guess i need a second person to turn the wheel while i look for play in the shaft.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 PM
nanohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The principal problem with wander is the steering intermediate shaft. They wear and seize simultaneously, its a wonder of modern engineering. Dorman has a replacement part 425-266. I have the same problem you describe. I already changed the rack. I think my shaft is dying again. Seem to last 2 years or so

Search this Thread