Monroe quick struts + 2" leveling kit too much - DodgeForum.com

3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's

Monroe quick struts + 2" leveling kit too much

Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM
dforbis

Default Monroe quick struts + 2" leveling kit too much

Maybe it's common knowledge and I just missed it but thought I would throw it out there to help out others. I did not think the Monroe quick struts would add any height to the front end but they did. I would say they were the equivalent of a 2" leveling kit as the truck sits perfectly level with them installed. I had ordered a 2" leveling kit in addition but when I installed it the front end was way high and the upper control arms contacted the strut spring when cornering. I've been driving around now for about 2 weeks with just the struts installed with 265/75-16 tires and it hasn't settled at all far as I can tell. I had a slight rub on the back of the wheel well. I'm not sure what the offset on the wheels are as they were a craigslist find off a CJ7. I didn't want to cut the fenders so I did a tieback that works great. They still have a slight rub when I am braking hard and turning hard (think nearly missed a turn) but nothing that causes me any concern.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Pics required. Please post part numbers you aquired.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM
rodslinger
Professional

Default Same here.

I used the Monroe quick struts also and the front does seem higher than stock. It isn't quite level with the rear but close. They ride well but not a fan of how it looks.

When I'm towing there is a rearward rake to the truck where it was usually level before.
​​​​
Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 PM
dforbis

Donkeypunch they were the Monroe quick struts 171100
Amazon Amazon

The leveling kit I'm not sure the part number but it was a 2" leveling kit that was about 1 1/4" spacer for the top of the strut.

I'll have to get a picture or 2
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM
ABQLaramie

He's absolutely right. I decided that before buying new tires I might as well replace the front struts and tie rod ends and whatnot since it was about time to do so . Tried the same part number of quick strut as listed above with the 2" leveling kit from Supreme Suspensions, and the angles on everything in the front end were hilariously bad....... including the angle on the strut itself relative to the lower bushing. I would certainly not advise anyone with a 4x4 Dakota to do both at once.

Search this Thread