3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Chime immediately after ignition OFF

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Dakota2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chime immediately after ignition OFF

So, I have this totally random chime that rings only once when the ignition is turned OFF. It happens once in a while but not all the time. It's been doing this for about 6 months now but I can find no rhyme or reason why its happening.

All safety equipment seems okay. All lights are working fine. No warning messages on dashboard. Just a simple "ding" when the key is turned OFF every once in a while.

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab 4.7L FFV

Any ideas?

Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The cluster might have a glitch causing that to happen. Chime is on the cluster ckt board BTW. Possibly a capacitor bleed off when ignition power is taken away.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Dakota2007

Interesting TNtech... about a year and a half ago I had some really odd issues which after the dealer throwing many new components at the truck settled on a new computer which solved everything. I've since replaced a few sensors TPS, IAC, etc and its been running great. ~110,000 on the clock.

I did have a "ding" on startup a few months ago and determined that was a brake light. Changed the bulb and that went away but the random "ding" at ignition OFF is still there. I went thru a start/stop cycle 6 times yesterday and it happened once. The previous 2 days it didn't happen at all. Do you think this may be indicative of a coming problem or just an oddity to live with? I was hoping someone would tel me its an easy message like an oil change reminder or something like that... my OCD goes wild with issues like this - haha!

Oh and thank you for the response - I read this list a lot and have learned a few things. Most folks have already answered questions before I see them so I don't really have much to say - but this is a GREAT network. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably just an oddity at this point. You could always take the ckt board out and destroy the chime lol

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I would just live with the chime, at lease until there's a reason to look further.

EDIT:

Maybe try this reset procedure for the oil change reminder chime. It probably won't work, but it can't hurt to try it.

1) Turn ignition on but do not start the truck.
2) Within 10 seconds, slowly depress & release the accelerator 3 times.
3) Turn the ignition off.

Last edited by dakotaff; 03-23-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Dakota2007

Thanks guys...

I'll give the reset a try just for grins. My wife has a 2012 Journey that we reset using the same sequence. I didn't think my truck had that feature but who knows - the fact its not consistent is what is puzzling. Besides on the Journey it chimes at startup.

If I ever figure it out I will let you know!

Quick Reply: Chime immediately after ignition OFF