3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
jrockwell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... how do you take the cover off? Isn't this forum for help/info?

Old 09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by undertow999
How do you remove the push button start cover so you can actually put the key into the ignition hole. My dealer decided not give me an owners manual.
if you're like me, you missed the SPOT the owner's manual is stored. open your glove box and feel up towards the top. they were ingenious to create a dedicated owners manual location. i actually had to drive back to my dealer then someone figured it out lol...

Secondly, i looked into removing the start stop cover. you can use a house key or small flat item to pry it off from the bottom, there's a slot under the bottom.

As for people trying that old "1980's" first year model nonsense. no, it's not an excuse. when technology was a hundreth of what it is now that was acceptable, not anymore. maybe for some small fitment issues or things wearing quicker in different climates, but not electronics or powertrains, sorry. hopefully this only affects a small number and the later builds (mine is a 6/11 (which should be a '12 for goodness sake).

my only complaints about this D3 is that

A) they are still limiting functions in the touchscreen while moving (give me a break, the regular RADIO is just as complicated as using the Nav so what's the friggin point???) my '11 hyundai genesis sedan did not do this, i miss that immensely.

B) the ancient FIVE SPEED TRANSMISSION. if this vehicle had a 6 speed like GM and Ford, or even the JOURNEY has, it would be amazing. i'm averaging 17.6-18mpg in 35-40mph stop and go driving. the 6 speed would increase it another 1-1.5 no doubt.

PS, my Genesis keyless start had a few issues when i owned it (for only 4 months) at least three times it wouldn't start when i tried would say "key not detected". maybe they all do it at some point??

Last edited by TonyCrew; 09-11-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by TonyCrew

B) the ancient FIVE SPEED TRANSMISSION. if this vehicle had a 6 speed like GM and Ford, or even the JOURNEY has, it would be amazing. i'm averaging 17.6-18mpg in 35-40mph stop and go driving. the 6 speed would increase it another 1-1.5 no doubt.

PS, my Genesis keyless start had a few issues when i owned it (for only 4 months) at least three times it wouldn't start when i tried would say "key not detected". maybe they all do it at some point??
Agree completely with the tranny. With 360 hp, the tranny keeps this thing from moving like it should.

As for the keyless start, think of it like a wireless network. Sometimes it just doesn't connect. It happens regularly, if not frequently, with your computer. The same concept applies to the car. It shouldn't happen a lot, but it can happen once in a while.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by JRRF
Agree completely with the tranny. With 360 hp, the tranny keeps this thing from moving like it should.
missing my point about the 6-8 or even a 9 speed trans. if or should i say WHEN they put a real trans in the new V6, you will see the take on the V8 shrink to less than 15% of the take. Example, the VW toureg dropped almost a full second going from the 6 to the 8 speed in the 1/4mi.. and gets 2mpg more than the old trans. So with an 8+ speed the V6 will be almost as quick as the Hemi and get 18+ around town and probably 25mpg hwy. The hemi is great for towing but after test driving it in the new grand cherokee and the D3 i just couldn't justify the mpg hit for the performance gain in this configuration.

Before anyone says "my hemi gets" trust me, i road tested and made loops of my drive with both V6 and V8 jeep and D3 and at the end the Hemi (in the D3, the jeep was barely better) was at 12.6mpg and the V6 at 15.5mpg. my 6.2 yukon denali averaged 13.3mpg on same loop and is waaaaaaay faster than the hemi D3, plus weighs another 800+lbs.

As for the keyless start, think of it like a wireless network. Sometimes it just doesn't connect. It happens regularly, if not frequently, with your computer. The same concept applies to the car. It shouldn't happen a lot, but it can happen once in a while.
yep. after a little research i have to agree. spoke to a few people among them a friend that owns a hi-end performance shop and he says the keyless ignitions do this all the time in the vettes "key not detected". gotta love new technology!!

Last edited by TonyCrew; 09-12-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apple and Oranges again

Originally Posted by TonyCrew
my 6.2 yukon denali is waaaaaaay faster than the hemi D3
As long as we are math adverse and 2+3=7... then where 5.7 is equal to 6.2... 6.2 must be equal to 6.4.

Lets watch the 6.4 HEMI kick the Denali's ***. The SRT8 JGC is a true beast not to be bested by any Denali in any factory badging.

IndyDurango

Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 AM
fincher
Professional

Wait until Jeep/Dodge offers a TDI Diesel in the US. I think the engine is a VW. Pretty sure the Grand Cherokee is getting it for 2013. Have no idea about Dodge.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 AM
undertow999
Amateur

I took my D3 in to the dealer to get a dent taken out that was there pre-delivery. A few days prior to this my wife had the push button issue on three separate occasions. The service dept. at the dealership called within a few hours and said there was an update to the keyless ignition system that needed to be done that should remedy the situation. Hopefully that's true. My car has a 3/11 build date, just for info.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Side bar: the "D3" moniker that just showed up today reminds me of this:

It's a Gen3 and since this is a Durango forum, using simply "D" is good.

Just sayin' LOL.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 AM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Apple and Oranges again

As long as we are math adverse and 2+3=7... then where 5.7 is equal to 6.2... 6.2 must be equal to 6.4.

Lets watch the 6.4 HEMI kick the Denali's ***. The SRT8 JGC is a true beast not to be bested by any Denali in any factory badging.

IndyDurango
wth are you talking about? one is a luxury full size 3 row body on frame TRUCK and the other is a 2 row unibody SUV made strictly to compete with performance SUV's. someone who is shopping a jeep srt 8 isn't shopping a Denali and vice versa..relax. and since we're on the subject it's all about how much $$$ you have..

this daily driven body on frame truck right here runs 11.7 on a drag radial and 12.0 on street tires and only has about $4k into it..
so get over the "all mighty" factory stock SRT8 lol... nice truck, nicest performance SUV out there under $100k, but a "beast" it is not...not by far.
Name:  IMG_58311.jpg
Views: 3771
Size:  79.3 KB

anything running a high 12 second 1/4 mi would be about 2 bus lengths behind a new stock auto vette. a "beast" lol... maybe if was in the 80's, the early 80's...

PS, my AWD Yukon denali ran 14.8 @95mph stock. after it was tuned i never had the chance to run it again but a friend's went 13.8 @100 with CAI/Tune.. not too bad for almost 6000lbs ehhh?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:45 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

I'm talking about the inequality you created when you rate a stock D 5.7 against a non-stock Denali 6.2.

A 12 sec street quarter runnner that squats like that isn't stock verses the Hemi you test drove and "road tested" so yet another apples and oranges comparison.

And for that matter, you then go on to discount/lambaste a unibody SUV vs a Truck matchup when the last time I checked... the Gen3 you panned is indeed a unibody SUV and the Denali is indeed a truck. Let's talk in circles. Let's talk in circles. While we are at it, let's talk in circles.

Whatev. I have a tiny 5.9 that loves to run too. Line 'em up.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 09-13-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems