3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
r-rango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

I've had my Durango Citadel for 45 days now and have about 2700 miles on it. Last Monday, went to leave the house and it would not start. The key FOBs were both unresponsive and when I pushed the button to start it, I got nothing. It was completely paralyzed. I could unlock the vehicle by touching the door handle, but that was all. I couldn't even get the thing out of park. Called Roadside Assistance after getting NO help from the Service Department at the Dealership I bought the Durango from. They couldn't even tell me how to override the shift lock (my wife found it in the manual - no guys ever read the manual, right?). Anyway, got the thing towed to the Dealership and contacted them the next day. They put me in a RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4, which I was good with (my wife hated it). So they finally got to look at it on Wednesday and had to go through a reset procedure to get the car started again. They stated that the ignition system was not signaling the key FOBs correctly and that Chrysler needed to complete a software patch for the ignition module. Apparently, they claim this is a problem on all 2011 Chrysler makes with the pushbutton ignition (haven't all other car manufacturers been doing this for several years? Wouldn't they have capitalized on technology that has been around for awhile by selecting one that had the kinks worked out of it?) I've been getting the runaround since last Wednesday. Everyday I call the Service Advisor and get the same story. They have not heard from the Support line from a certain individual with a fix yet (like there was only one guy working this problem). Everyday, I ask isn't there someone else that they could talk to or get more information from? I called the Service Manager Friday and was assured he would look into it further today (Monday). I got a call from the Service Advisor with the same info I got last week. He also got an ear full from my wife when he called our house and she answered while I was at work. So enough is enough. I called the Dodge Customer Satisfaction hotline and submitted a complaint. About an hour later, they called back saying a part was being ordered and would be in Wednesday. Hold the phone, never did they mention that there were any "part" problems. Only a software issue and quite the opposite. They were not authorized to replace any parts because this was a known software issue. So why now are they telling me they are going to replace a part? I told them I was not satisfied with that answer and that they had told me that it was not a hardware problem, but a software problem. They claim they can't recreate the problem. So am I supposed to wait for this car to not start on me again or even worse, my wife and kids while they are out and about? This is ridiculous. This is a $49K retail vehicle (I didn't pay that for it and never would have). Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of an issue with any 2011 Chrysler vehicle with the push button start? If so, was it resolved and how?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 AM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

I had my Citadel for three and half weeks now with 530 miles so far no problem with the push button ignition.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Use paragraphs. That text-block is nearly unreadable.

2) The replacement part isn't authorized by who? If they want to swap a part, let them.

3) If it fails again, take it back again as a lemon.

4) Your dealer sounds like they suck. Look for another one.

5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.

6) Misc electrical issues are being reported.

7) Remember, the D was supposed to be a 2012 release, 2011 was a push to get it out.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-23-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM
MRaymond

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems
I had a very similar problem with my 2 month old Dodge Durango Citadel just yesterday on 5/21 the vehicle just turned 3,000 miles, My wife and I were traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike about 150 miles from home and stopped at a rest area. When we returned to the vehicle I pushed the start button and nothing happen, the screen said “Key not detected” of course I tried several times, then the screen said “Key Damaged”. Only having one key I was stuck, I then called roadside assistance they were no help and very rude. This happen at 8:30AM, I was able to reach the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from at 9:00AM once again they were no help, they said you need to tow the vehicle to a dealership. I then called back road side assistance all they would do for me is give me an 800 number for the Turnpike Authority tow service, they wouldn’t even dispatch a tow truck because I was on a toll road….

When the tow truck arrived he couldn’t get the vehicle in natural to place the vehicle on the flat bed, the dealership also couldn’t help him, and they had no idea how to release the shifter. So the vehicle was then DRAGED onto the flatbed with the rear wheels locked. Once at the dealership one of the mechanics found the release button in 1 minuet (it’s under the cup holder in the front console), then in 5 more minutes the same mechanic called me to the vehicle, he said that my Key Fob is defective and needs to be replaced; in the meantime he popped out the start button and showed me how to use the Key Fob as a key to start the vehicle. The Fob just inserts into the hole where the button came out of. All the functions work but the hand release when you touch the handle to unlock and lock the door. They also said that these keys are on a massive national back order and it would be some time before I could get it replaced.

When I arrived home later that evening I replaced the start button and was able to use my spare key fob with no problem. That tells me that the problem is defective Key Fobs and they already know about it. How many people will be stranded before they even notify their dealers that there is a problem and explain that there is a bypass for the key and the where the release button is for the
Shifter?

I was stuck on the highway with no assistance from road side, 5 hours out of our trip and a $255 tow bill that I was required to pay out of my pocket. I was told by the dealership that It is my job to write a letter to Dodge explain what happen and request reimbursement of the Tow bill, that’s very poor customer service. I am now second guessing my self for purchasing a Chrysler product.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See #5 above

Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
MRaymond

See #5 above…
“5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.”

This is no answer to a customer buying a $47K vehicle that is loaded with “bugs”. If Chrysler Corp. expects to compete with the industry and there are many options for the public to choose from, also there was nothing in the sales pitch or the fancy sales brochure about bearing with us while we work the bugs out….. and expect to pay for the towing expense if you are stranded on the road…

Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

One thing about Acura for their customers a great program included when buying their vehicles is the Roadside assistance program so if you get stranded you can just make phone call and they will assist, Dodge/Chrysler needs to have a program like this if they want increase their customer base.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM
r-rango
Default Follow Up

Well, got the Durango back. They replaced the TIPM module and did a flash upgrade to the wireless receiver module. So far, so good. Chrysler does have a Roadside Assistance Program, which I did use and did get my vehicle towed (after 3 tow trucks came out with flat beds that I was not about to let them drag my new vehicle onto - this was prior to finding the shift interlock switch that allowed me to get the vehicle into neutral). I did learn some valuable information. 1. The start pushbutton comes out and you can use your regular key 2. Found the shift interlock switch under the cup holder closest to the dash. 3. Probably not a good idea to buy the first year of a newly redesigned model. 4. Chrysler is still not quite on par with some of the other automakers when it comes to quality. Hope nobody else has problems with their Durango. If there's a bad one in the bunch, I'll be the one to get it. Happens almost every time with one exception, my 2004 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. Still going strong with no major problems - 103,000 miles!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
barshotz

I just joined this forum after going through the same exact problem and receiving very little help. Why don't service managers read these forums? Unless they do and the choose not to be helpful.

I've been a Lexus owner for the past seven years, two new and one certified pre-owned. Their customer service is outstanding. What a shock when I had this problem.

After having the tow truck driver drop me off at the dealership, because he couldn't get the truck in gear, the service manager said I should have called roadside assistance. (I called AAA). Then, instead of calling for me, he handed me the number of the tow service they use all the time. "Our guys know how to tow". The driver still had to dolly the car into the dealership. What a picture that would be to put on the internet!

I tried popping the start switch and using the keyfob to start the car but that didn't work. I had my wife bring out the second fob, no help. I'm bringing it to the selling dealership today for a complete checkup.

Two weeks after purchase I had a ping through the steering shaft, ... I'll start a new thread for that.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.

6) Misc electrical issues are being reported.

I have bad news for you. Newer cars with advanced electronics and software are always going to have bugs that need to be fixed. It is a far cry from when cars "got better" as the years passed. Heck, the space shuttle had software discrepancies until the final landing. I'm not saying this as an excuse, but it's simply a reality. And if you think other ("high end") cars are much better, go read a BMW forum.

As for customer service, Dodge definitely has a ways to go, and that has nothing to do with new/old/technology -- just commitment to customers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems