3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

DIY: Bumper/Head Light Removal

Old 09-24-2011, 02:18 PM
darkmanrob85
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Bumper/Head Light Removal

Ok guys/girls, here is a the DIY steps to remove the bumper and head lights. I'm no mechanic but I was able to remember the steps my future brother in-law did to remove my bumper/head lights the first time.

Before we start I HIGHLY suggest you go and pick up this tool(pictured below) before we start. It's called a Door Upholstery Remover. It cost like $7 or $8. I got it from Advanced Auto Parts, but Autozone should have it as well. It makes it really easy to remove the clips and undo the weather stripping under the hood

I didn't take any pictures of taking off the plastic covering and weather stripping to expose the head light housing because simpsonsrOck did it in the DIY:Head Light Bulb/HID Install. Use the Door Upholstery Remover to remove the clips and weather stripping. Link below:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-install.html

Now in the wheel well. You will see two screws and two rivets. Remove both of them. FYI...when you remove the rivets you will not be able to put them back in. They are basically used to hold in the wheel well liner. You can get clips to put in there place from the dealer or ebay.

FYI...in my picture the rivets are already gone because I previously removed the bumper before..

Now that those screws are out, disconnect your fog lights.

Now underneath the bumper you need to remove 3 black plastic twist tabs(I don't know what they are called) and two silver screws(one screw on both sides). Pic below of plastic twist tab and silver screws:

To remove the side molding just gently pull/tug on the molding till you remove it just past the bumper line.

Now to remove the bumper. Start on one side, genitally tug on the bumper to remove it from the car. You will hear some unsnapping but don't be alarmed its ok. Just do it carefully.

Go all the way around till the bumper is off

Now to remove the grill. Under the hood you'll see the plastic piece that is attached to the grill(see pic below). Gentaly pull up on the piece. You will hear unsnapping:

Now remove the 2 silver bolts(one on each side) holding in the grill to the frame:

The grill should be able to come off

Now to remove the Head Light
There are 3 black bolts holding in the head light. One under the hood, one that was behind the grill and the other is towards the end of end of the car(forgot to take a picture of this bolt but you'll see it)

After all that the bumper and head light will be out:

Now reverse these steps to put everything back together

If you all have any questions just lmk.

Last edited by darkmanrob85; 09-26-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
simpsonsr0ck
Amateur

very nicely done! Maybe Ill take both sets of hids to see what I can do to get at least one of them up and running in my D =]

Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 AM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional

Did you get pictures of the back of the bumper cover by chance?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 AM
budoboy1
Veteran

A bit easier than removing my Charger's front end. Thanks for the right up. I've been looking for this. Looking at painting a silver R/Ts grill and lower fascia black.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM
MG2012CREW
Professional

Originally Posted by budoboy1
A bit easier than removing my Charger's front end. Thanks for the right up. I've been looking for this. Looking at painting a silver R/Ts grill and lower fascia black.
Did you get a chance to do this?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
mac424
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a good rivet to put back in the holes that allows for easy removal, try these:

http://www.thecliplink.com/retainers...5-per-box.html

You don't have to get them from there, but these are easily removed and reinstalled.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 PM
NoChance

Trying to take apart a brand new 2013 to install some auxiliary lights mounted off the core support behind the grille. I see that a few of the images from this topic have disappeared.

Is there any chance of finding those? How much force is needed to pull the bumper off the vehicle after drilling out the rivets, removing the bottom support parts and spreading the wheel opening trim out for clearance? Are there clips holding the bumper itself? What is the purpose of that large odd shaped piece that is close to dead center in the very last picture, mounted to the frame? The grille seems to somehow connect into it for support?

And can I please get verification that this procedure also applies to 2013 models?

Thanks very much!! This forum seems really informative.

Last edited by NoChance; 08-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoChance
Trying to take apart a brand new 2013 to install some auxiliary lights mounted off the core support behind the grille. I see that a few of the images from this topic have disappeared. Is there any chance of finding those?

And can I please get verification that this procedure also applies to 2013 models?
I second that motion. I'm replacing the Crew grille with a used Citadel grille and have been holding off until after the family reunion. The instruction/pix here so far have been VERY helpful but I was wondering also about the missing pix. It seems like a straight forward swap but the extra pix would help easy my mind a little.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
MarcoD

Darkmanrob, thank you for the great write up. Taking off the bumper and headlights was quick and easy for me after reading your instructions. I can't believe how the whole front of the Durango is plastic! I installed the oem bi-xenon headlights and wow what a difference. They look awesome and the light output is amazing compared to the halogens.

Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:27 PM
MJNewman
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've taken my front bumper off too many times that I can have it off in under 10 mins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Bumper/Head Light Removal