3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Captain's ZSeats and Tire size

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM
k.daddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captain's ZSeats and Tire size

Hi,

I am new to the forum (posting) - I have been lerking and reading your posts for the past few weeks. I have found a ton of good info, so thank you for that.

I have decided to move forward and buy my first Durango. I have 2 questions I could use some input on:

1) I am interested in the Captain's seats in the second row for the 2012's..though I can't find any information on when they will actually be available.

2)looking for some feedback as to 18 inch or 20 inch tire sizes for the 2012...just some general user experience.

and if anyone has any thoughts on the v6 vs v8 I'm still struggling with - is the extra power worth the decreased gas mileage? I don't tow that often but have always had V8's and am wondering if the v6 won't suffice.

Thanks in advance and look forward to contributing to this great forum.

Eric

Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My personal thoughts. I can share having owned the 2011 V-6 HEAT (cheaper version of the R/T with the same body styling) then traded that in a month later for the 2011 V-8 R/T. I'm happy with the power and sound of the V-8 tho lets be honest if gas mileage is what you're worried about, the HEMI has less than desirable mileage IMO.

The HEAT with the V-6 actually had decent mileage avg over 20+/Gal. The HEAT did not have a 3rd row seat and since I only wanted the "looks" of the R/T, the only option for us was to actually get the R/T. I'm extremely happy we did!

If you've always owned a V-8, you may be asking your self if you go with the V-6 "what did I do?" My thought was if I'm going to get this beast of a vehicle (size wise) why not get the motor to make it move quicker. The V-6 while great on gas felt a bit sluggish to me.

Also, I am used to 4 cylinder cars which are light and get up and go quick. I am kind of a lead foot SO, the V-8 does get up and go, thus the gas mileage will be further affected. Its my first V-8 and I'm loving it....

V-6 - less power better gas mileage, still rated okay for towing
V-8 - sacrifice gas mileage for more power/towing and that HEMI roar (hits your pocket book no matter how you look at it....)

Again, all MY opinion so take it easy V-6 owners....

Last edited by 2011HEAT; 10-09-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Further Justification:)
Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Towing isn't an option for 2012 on the v6 like it was on the 2011. They will move you up to the HEMI.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
cdn_tbird
Amateur

Originally Posted by 2011HEAT
If you've always owned a V-8, you may be asking your self if you go with the V-6 "what did I do?" My thought was if I'm going to get this beast of a vehicle (size wise) why not get the motor to make it move quicker. The V-6 while great on gas felt a bit sluggish to me.

Again, all MY opinion so take it easy V-6 owners....
As a V6 owner, I have to agree with 2011Heat to a point. For the first 5,000km it definitely felt underpowered. There were times where it felt like I had to put the pedal through the floor to get it to go.

Not sure exactly what happened at 5,000km but my baby isn't sluggish anymore. Pedal response is wonderful. No, it's not like any of my past V8 cars or trucks, but it is more than enough for its intended use.

As someone who can have a lead foot at times, not sure I'd use the word "wonderful" to describe the gas mileage. I'd probably go with "mediocre". :-)

Loving my D3 more & more every time I take her out for a drive.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I have a few thoughts:
1. tire size: The 18's will give a nicer, more compliant ride. That is due to the taller sidewall of the tire. The 20's give a firmer ride with slightly more control, but at a little loss of ride smoothness.

2. engine size: I think you already know the score here. You can have better mileage or more power. It's like almost any other vehicle, you just have to make the choice.

The V8 costs you about 15% more in fuel, when compared to the V6.

What does that mean? Lets look at how 15% adds to your bill in real life.

A. If you spend $3000 a year in fuel with the V6, the V8 would have cost you $3450.
B. If you need to put $60 in the tank of a V6 every week, the the V8 would run you $69....or approx $36 more per month.

The most important thing is just getting what you want. My dad, he wouldn't buy the V8....he would opt for the V6. I know he would say, I don't need the V8...the V6 has plenty of power. Me, I wanted the V8. For the tires, he would opt for the 18's to get a nicer ride. I prefer the look of the 20's. It is all personal opinion. That is why they offer all these options, so everyone can get what they want. Go test drive the D's in different configurations to determine what you prefer. You'll be glad you did, because then you will know that you got the one best suited to you.

Last edited by kingofwylietx; 10-10-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Jtrees
Amateur

Originally Posted by k.daddy
Hi,

1) I am interested in the Captain's seats in the second row for the 2012's..though I can't find any information on when they will actually be available.

I emailed someone at Chrysler communications about the capt chairs a couple weeks ago, he said an official announcement will be coming soon, this is what he wrote:

When the captain’s chairs become available later this model year, Durango will have two different consoles available. One in particular, is small and designed to be stepped over easily. Neither console is removable. At this time, they’re set to hit dealers right around New Years. It is subject to change, but that’s the timing right now.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 PM
dnakon

I also debated between 6 and 8, it was driving me crazy. after my final test drive, though the 6 was getting about 4 more mpg in both city and hwy, I felt like I needed to plan my lane changes, the power wasn't just there. After driving the 8 after the 6, I had to do the 8 and say the heck with mpg. It still gets ok mpg compared to other large suv's. Plus the hemi note is nice, heard one with flowmasters and it was awesome!!! If you get the 6 you will wish you did the 8, and if you do the 8 you will always wonder if you should have done the 6. So just go with the HEMI :-)

Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM
JJPonzini
Amateur

I just traded in a Grand Cherokee that got 13 mpg for the last 6 years. I'm looking forward to the better mileage with the V6, rather than the little extra low end torque I had with the V8. This V6 has more hp (235vs290) than the 4.7 V8 I had. When I hit the on ramp, it has all the power I need to merge. I took the gas savings and moved up to the Citadel. When gas is over $4 and hitting $5, I will really not miss the V8 and the almost 25% extra fuel. However, I won't be towing, but the dealer is going to add a hitch today for the bike rack.

As far as ride, I am impressed with the smoothness of the 20's on these really bad Michhigan roads.

Last edited by JJPonzini; 11-08-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
fincher
Professional

If don't need to tow, go with the V6. Plenty of juice, it's the 5-speed that makes it seem slightly sluggish. I love the V8 but it wasn't practical for our needs.

Quick Reply: Captain's ZSeats and Tire size