3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango failure - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
tcc_dc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango failure - advice needed

I need advice on a situation.

I purchased a brand new Durango Citadel in Oct 11. I love this truck.

As with the 2011 Citadels, maintenance was included. So I took my Durango in for my first 3000 mile maintenance.

This morning I took my Durango out for the first time since then and my truck came to a grinding halt 3 miles from my house.

I called the chrysler towing and they were very quick and nice.

A couple hours later the dealer (not the one I bought from but the one closest to my home and did the maintenance) called and said that during my first maintenance they missed a plug or something like that and now my engine is ruined and has to be replaced. They admitted fault.

I am devasted to say the least.

They said they would replace with a brand new engine, but this seems very worrisome to me.

What alternatives do I have? Do I have to take the new engine? How do I verify that it is not used? Can I demand a new Citadel?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Jpo
Amateur

Did they improperly/not at all reinstall the drain plug for the oilpan? Ouch. Bottom line is a new motor is a new motor. I would be very surprised if you'd be able to get a new Durango.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as long as they are including a NEW engine (not used or rebuilt) and all the labor i would take it.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
tcc_dc

thanks for the responses...and you are correct, they did not replace the drain plug.

Does my truck lose value because of this?

I am just trying to protest myself before I agree to anything being done.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think it will lose value.. I would try and see if you can get a new rig instead of an engine though..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM
bportman
Professional

Wow...Someone for sure lost their job on this one.

I think you'll be fine with a new engine but you may be right though it may create some title issues. Just keep your paperwork if you plan on selling.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It obviously sucks, but I don't think you'd have a legal leg to stand on in trying to get a new rig.
I'd be worried to say the least. Yeah a new engine in itself will probably be fine, but you can't miss a damn thing on the install. Not to mention you'd have all kinds of little things to worry about. I've even seen the hoods scratched to sh*t during an engine replace just because when the shop removed it they just laid it against a side wall the entire time.
It might be in your best interest to seek legal advice and know exactly what your rights are, but regardless, don't sign off on ANYTHING until you've inspected EVERYTHING...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
dont think it will lose value.. I would try and see if you can get a new rig instead of an engine though..
+1...its better you choose to get a new rig if possible! G/L

Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carfax is going to know forever that the engine was replaced. Your resale value just dropped a lot. Make the dealer compensate you AND repair the vehicle. A lawyer may make sense depending on the State you are in.

Good luck!

IndyDurango

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
rdkind62
Professional

I truly doubt that there is going to be any diminished value on the vehicle due to replacing the engine after 5 months of use. Even if it shows up on carfax, which it probably won't since reporting to Carfax is an option and not mandatory, and the dealer is paying for the complete repair out of pocket. If the dealer were to report it through their own insurance then they are just admitting negligence and would likely end up with a higher premium than they would just taking care of it and having everybody be happy with it. I'd say just get it replaced and be happy you have a new engine with 5-6 months less miles on it.

Quick Reply: Durango failure - advice needed