3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Brake Controller Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the Tekonsha P3 brake controller just a plug and play item? You said you needed to solder a wire? Was that just something you did for you or do you need to do that when installing this controller?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:19 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

yes its plug in play if you get the right 4 wire adapter

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Jhochst

I have 11 DD Hemi, i have factory tow, but i do not believe built in controller was available then. I have the P3, very nice unit. why bypass the built in controller though?

Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by Jhochst
I have 11 DD Hemi, i have factory tow, but i do not believe built in controller was available then. I have the P3, very nice unit. why bypass the built in controller though?
There is no 'built-in' controller head. There is controller wiring integrated into the main power harness with a plug-n-play connector. This is to allow you to purchase whatever controller you want and easily connect to the vehicle's wiring without having to do your own tracing, cutting, splicing, or tapping.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Jhochst

Ok, I misunderstood. I purchased the adapter they sell that plugs into DD port and straight into P3 controller. No wire connection at all. $15 for the wire.

Originally Posted by coldsteel
There is no 'built-in' controller head. There is controller wiring integrated into the main power harness with a plug-n-play connector. This is to allow you to purchase whatever controller you want and easily connect to the vehicle's wiring without having to do your own tracing, cutting, splicing, or tapping.

Last edited by Jhochst; 06-27-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 AM
sdhelton
Default Help

I just started researching this so please assume I know nothing. I purchased my 2014 V6 Durango because it was a good deal and because my salesman told us it would tow 6200 lbs with the addition of a receiver as it does not have the factory trailer tow group. The dealer quoted me roughly $350 for the receiver and 7-plug connector installed and said I would be able to tow just the same as if I had the trailer tow group... the full 6200 lbs. My first question, if I am only using my 4000 pound travel trailer a few times a year is a brake controller absolutely necessary? Also since my Durango did not come with the tow package, does my vehicle have a brake controller connector or pigtail? and if the dealer installs the receiver and wiring connector does that also mean they would install the pigtail in the cab for a brake controller? I've asked my parts/service guy at my dealer and he seems more clueless than me. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM
sdhelton
Default Update

So I decided to check for myself and my durango has the harness for the brake controller right next to the e-brake harness. So all I need is a controller and adapter... right? Will my dealer have to activate anything or flash anything in the car before I am able to use this since I do not have the factory tow package?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't speak with 100% confidence, but if your truck has the pigtail already, that should get the brake controller up and functioning. You may need to populate a fuse slot though for power. I'm curious though where the other end of those wires go if there isn't already a trailer connector installed at the rear.

My 2011 Hemi has the tow package but it was pretty obvious it was never utilized. When I installed my Prodigy brake controller it worked right off the bat, I did not need to install any fuses to get power to it.

I would get your dealer to provide in writing that your Durango, presumably with remaining warranty, will be ready to tow the full 6200 lbs after their install though since the towing package, at least on my 2011, includes more than just the hitch and wiring. From what I understand, it includes additional oil coolers as well. I'm not clear if the heavy duty brakes were a result of the towing package or if that was an additional option.

-Rod

Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Rennee52

We did not have the tow package with our Durango 2016 R/T...we just installed a hitch and tekonsha brake system yesterday at the RV garage. The tekonsha lights show connection but nothing lights up on the trailer. From what I have read, sounds like we need to computer flashed to enable system. Do we need to go to a Dodge dealership for this or can any dealership do this for us? What a pain! We had to cancel our 1st camping trip!

Last edited by Rennee52; 08-18-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Brake Controller Installed