3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New Owner -Hello + 730N question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Jpo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner -Hello + 730N question

Hello, first post here as I just yesterday picked up a Mineral Grey R/T AWD. I will post up some pics in the roll-call thread once the weather here (Calgary) is not so crappy.

So far very impressed with the R/T; it is very comfortable and handles well for a relatively large vehicle.

I do have one question related to the hard drive in the 730N and I've spent a while searching to no avail. The question is should the hard drive ALWAYS be spinning? Basically from the time I get into the car to the time I get out there is a faint but audible hard drive noise out of the head unit. I don't have any media on it and I wonder if this is related to the NAV?

John

Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! I wanted the Mineral Gray soo bad and had to settle with the Silver R/T. I have grown to like the silver as much or maybe even better that the Mineral Gray. Are you sure it is not the fan that you hear running?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Jpo
Amateur

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
Welcome! I wanted the Mineral Gray soo bad and had to settle with the Silver R/T. I have grown to like the silver as much or maybe even better that the Mineral Gray. Are you sure it is not the fan that you hear running?
Hi, you mean the fan for the climate control? No I turned that off as well as turning off the head unit and I can still hear it. I also put my ear near the head unit and the sound is definitely emanating from there.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No not the climate control, I am speaking of the fan for the 730, it has it's own fan that seems to be variable speed. Sometimes i can hear it running like a bandit and sometimes I can hear it running very slow.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Jpo
Amateur

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
No not the climate control, I am speaking of the fan for the 730, it has it's own fan that seems to be variable speed. Sometimes i can hear it running like a bandit and sometimes I can hear it running very slow.
Ok thanks, I'll keep an eye - err -ear on it. I've only had the car for a day so my sample size is pretty small.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Congrats on the new ride and welcome!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Normal. The 430N and 730N are built on computer style hard drives and require active cooling, especially since they get quite warm up against the firewall.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Jpo
Amateur

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Normal. The 430N and 730N are built on computer style hard drives and require active cooling, especially since they get quite warm up against the firewall.
Well there you go. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Jpo
Amateur

I thought I'd update this as I had the truck at the dealer today for some issues related to the front seat heaters and had them listen to the harddrive/fan noise and they said it sounded louder than ususal and have ordered me a new head unit.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
bster
Rookie

What issues have you been having with the seat elements. Curious as I have had mine in 5 times for possibly the same thing. Had elements replaced and was told that the "poor performance" of the heated seats is a design flaw and the low setting is actually nothing and high is barely noticeable, but thats the way it is. Hard to believe, wondering if others are having similar issues.

Quick Reply: New Owner -Hello + 730N question