3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Any experience getting an extra FOBIK keyless fob programmed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
bbtkd
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience getting an extra FOBIK keyless fob programmed

I recently got a 2012 Citadel and want a third FOBIK (keyless fob/remote). My dealer wants $200 for a new FOBIK programmed to the vehicle and with the key cut. First thing I discovered on forums is that no matter what anyone on Ebay says, a used FOBIK is totally useless since even a dealer can't program it to a vehicle once it has been programmed to another. Unlike other remotes where the car simply is told to accept the code of the remote, a FOBIK also learns the vehicle code and it is a one-use deal, cannot be undone or reset.

That said, I found directions for programming a FOBIK on other Dodge/Chrysler vehicles, pre 2010; pop out the "Push to start" button, insert first existing FOBIK, turn on for a few seconds, repeat with the second existing FOBIK, then finally with any new FOBIK's (up to a total of eight). Thing is, I read somewhere that more recent vehicles may no longer allow user programming, and now require the dealer to use their StarScan tool. I know you can get virgin FOBIK's on Ebay, but I'd like to confirm that someone with a 2012 Durango has programmed their own FOBIK. Anyone?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Linda Simon Wood

I had to get a replacement fob for my remote start. I need a picture of the programming button. Can't find it

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Linda Simon Wood
I had to get a replacement fob for my remote start. I need a picture of the programming button. Can't find it
If you had to get a replacement FOBIK remote because one of the two originals was lost or broken, you cannot program it yourself. The dealer has to do it if you only have one working FOBIK.

If you have two working FOBIK's then you may be able to program the new one, per the method I describe above. There is no programming button. The push to start button on your dash has an indentation on the bottom that you can use to pop it out, then behind it is a slot that the small end of the FOBIK goes into so you can use it like an ignition key.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Further info - there may be a way to reset used FOBIK's after all. A guy offers this service on Ebay. You pay him, then send him your FOBIK, he chips it, puts a new blank emergency key in it, and then sends it back. Presuming this is above board, then the remaining question is whether you can program G3 Durango FOBIK's yourself.

Update: The seller can't currently chip the FOBIK's having the FCC ID IZY-C01C such as the 05026538AE, 05026538AF or 05026538AG FOBIK's that the 2011 and 2012 Jeeps and Durangos take if they have both remote start and power liftgate. Other variants of these remotes without one or both of these features probably also have the same FCC ID and similarly cannot currently be chipped.

Update 2: The seller says he can now chip the IZY-C01C FOBIK's but it will cost more since it is more involved.

Last edited by bbtkd; 07-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Linda Simon Wood
Angry

My son installed the remote starter. He said he tucked the programming button under the dash. Need a picture so I know what I'm looking for.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

My son installed the remote starter. He said he tucked the programming button under the dash. Need a picture so I know what I'm looking for.
OK - you have an aftermarket remote start. This thread is about the factory keyless entry FOBIK. You'll need to find the brand and model of that remote start system and then find an online forum somewhere for that. Probably nobody here can help.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

To come to some closure, here is what I've found as far as programming Chrysler/Dodge FOBIK's, after looking on several forums, Google searching, etc; a virgin or re-virginized (!) key must be used and if you have a post-2009ish vehicle, the dealer has to program it with their StarScan tool. The cutoff date for self-programming probably varies by model. For a time they had programming instructions in the user manual, though it had already been dis-allowed. My dealer wants $200 for a new FOBIK and programming.

Once a FOBIK has been paired to a vehicle, it cannot be paired to another vehicle unless someone puts new chip in it. A fellow on Ebay does this. Newer ones (2011+) are more expensive/involved to do but still reasonable.

The number of FOBIK's that can be programmed for "standard" control (lock/unlock, tailgate, panic, remote start, key-in-ignition start) is limited to eight. But - the keyless-go system is limited to two FOBIK's at a time. This is important - if you have keyless-go and want a third FOBIK for keyless-go, you are out of luck. The dealer can program more than two FOBIK's but only two will be keyless-go and subsequent ones will not be. They will still do other functions. Also, if you buy a used vehicle with keyless-go but only get one of the remotes and want a second, you have to buy two new ones! They can't just replace the programming for one.

All of this is in the interest of security, so we should applaud them for this, although I have to suspect that a professional thief has a way around all of this. So - bottom line is that for post-2009, you are at the mercy of the dealer/locksmith/friend with a StarScan tool if you want FOBIK's programmed, and keyless-go is limited to two. Used FOBIK's can be re-virginized but you will still someone with a StarScan to program it.

On a side note - presuming your significant other has the second keyless-go FOBIK, don't chance leaving it in the vehicle since the vehicle might be freely locked/unlocked/stolen. If your SO is of the purse persuasion and sometimes leaves it in the car for convenience, be sure they take their FOBIK!!!! It might not be an issue if not close enough to the sensor, but why chance it?

Last edited by bbtkd; 07-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
cpcordell

Thanks for your diligence to put closure on this issue. I was about to order a FOBIK from either Ebay ($79) or keylessride.com ($129) but if the dealer must program it, then I guess I will not. No doubt they will charge $100 to program it (or more) and make the total cost higher than $200 to just get it from them in the first place.
I just picked up a 2012 Citadel and this is one of the first things I was going to do.
Sure easier with Chevy FOBs (and much cheaper too).

Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by cpcordell
Thanks for your diligence to put closure on this issue. I was about to order a FOBIK from either Ebay ($79) or keylessride.com ($129) but if the dealer must program it, then I guess I will not. No doubt they will charge $100 to program it (or more) and make the total cost higher than $200 to just get it from them in the first place.
I just picked up a 2012 Citadel and this is one of the first things I was going to do.
Sure easier with Chevy FOBs (and much cheaper too).

If you already have two FOBIKs, any additional ones will only act as remotes and will not work for keyless entry. When I was at a Dodge dealer recently I saw an internal GM memo (same family owns multiple dealerships including GM) that apparently applies to all car manufacturers, and in it they outline a government crackdown on programming FOBIKs and remotes. The government is requiring that only dealers or locksmiths can program them, and they must ID the buyer.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
jnschnit
Rookie

I bought a used 11' Durango from a Dealer. It was a rental in it's previous life. Only had one FOBIK so when I bought the car the dealer I bought it from (non Dodge) ordered a second FOBIK from Chrysler. Cost him $115. I then brought the FOBIK to the local Dodge dealer and they programmed it for $20. I have both remote start and rear hatch.

Quick Reply: Any experience getting an extra FOBIK keyless fob programmed