3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Where Are The Turn Signal Relays Located?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Total Loss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where Are The Turn Signal Relays Located?

Does anyone know where the turn signal relays are located?

Are they in the main fuse box under the hood on the passenger's side? I looked there and the descriptions for those relays don't mention anything about turn signals.

Are they in the smaller relay box behind the main fuse box? I'm still waiting back for an answer from DodgeCares about what the relays in that box do because there is no description anywhere about what that particular box controls.

Are they buried somewhere behind the dash? I haven't gone searching in there, yet.

If anyone has a clue, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Total Loss
Rookie

Anyone?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think they are in the underhood fuse box but not 100%... good luck!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn signals typical don't use a traditional relay. They typically use a flasher, and it's usually located under the drivers side dash. If you turn on the turn signals or flashers, you can usually find it by listening for where the ticking noise is coming from. The flasher is what makes that clicking sound. However, with these newer cars, the signal sound is so quiet, I'm not even sure they use traditional flashers. The function could very well be built into the body control module itself.

What are you trying to do?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Total Loss
Does anyone know where the turn signal relays are located?

Are they in the main fuse box under the hood on the passenger's side? I looked there and the descriptions for those relays don't mention anything about turn signals.

Are they in the smaller relay box behind the main fuse box? I'm still waiting back for an answer from DodgeCares about what the relays in that box do because there is no description anywhere about what that particular box controls.

Are they buried somewhere behind the dash? I haven't gone searching in there, yet.

If anyone has a clue, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!
Total,

Here is how they work.

TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS

The turn signal indicators give an indication to the vehicle operator that the turn signal (left or right indicator flashing) or hazard warning (both left and right indicators flashing) have been selected and are operating. These indicators are controlled by transistors on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board based upon the cluster programming and electronic messages received from the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) over the CAN data bus.
Each turn signal indicator LED is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will allow this indicator to operate whenever the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused B(+) circuit. Therefore, each LED can be illuminated regardless of the ignition switch status. The LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The instrument cluster will turn ON the turn signal indicators for the following reasons:
  • Turn Signal Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic right or left turn signal-ON message from the TIPM over the CAN data bus, the appropriate turn signal indicator will be flashed ON and OFF. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic message to the cluster to control the flash rate of the turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional turn signal flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a lamp-OFF message from the TIPM, or until the ignition switch status transitions to OFF, whichever occurs first.
  • Hazard Warning Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic hazard warning-ON message from the TIPM over the CAN data bus, both turn signal indicators will be flashed ON and OFF. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the cluster to control the flash rate of the right and left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional hazard warning flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a hazard warning-OFF message from the TIPM.
  • Turn Signal-On Textual Warning Message - When the cluster detects that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per hour) a TURN SIGNAL ON textual message and flashing right or left turn signal icon will appear within the instrument cluster electronic display unit and a chime tone will be sounded.
  • Lamp Out Mode - If the TIPM detects an ineffective turn signal lamp or circuit, it increases the flash rate for the remaining operative turn signals and sends an electronic message to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then increases the flash rate of the turn signal indicators and the click rate of the electromechanical relay to provide an indication of the problem to the vehicle operator.
The CCN continually monitors the electronic messages from the TIPM to determine the proper turn signal and hazard warning indicator operation.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Total Loss
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Total,

Here is how they work.

TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS

The turn signal indicators give an indication to the vehicle operator that the turn signal (left or right indicator flashing) or hazard warning (both left and right indicators flashing) have been selected and are operating. These indicators are controlled by transistors on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board based upon the cluster programming and electronic messages received from the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) over the CAN data bus.
Each turn signal indicator LED is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will allow this indicator to operate whenever the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused B(+) circuit. Therefore, each LED can be illuminated regardless of the ignition switch status. The LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The instrument cluster will turn ON the turn signal indicators for the following reasons:
  • Turn Signal Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic right or left turn signal-ON message from the TIPM over the CAN data bus, the appropriate turn signal indicator will be flashed ON and OFF. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic message to the cluster to control the flash rate of the turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional turn signal flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a lamp-OFF message from the TIPM, or until the ignition switch status transitions to OFF, whichever occurs first.
  • Hazard Warning Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic hazard warning-ON message from the TIPM over the CAN data bus, both turn signal indicators will be flashed ON and OFF. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the cluster to control the flash rate of the right and left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional hazard warning flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a hazard warning-OFF message from the TIPM.
  • Turn Signal-On Textual Warning Message - When the cluster detects that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per hour) a TURN SIGNAL ON textual message and flashing right or left turn signal icon will appear within the instrument cluster electronic display unit and a chime tone will be sounded.
  • Lamp Out Mode - If the TIPM detects an ineffective turn signal lamp or circuit, it increases the flash rate for the remaining operative turn signals and sends an electronic message to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then increases the flash rate of the turn signal indicators and the click rate of the electromechanical relay to provide an indication of the problem to the vehicle operator.
The CCN continually monitors the electronic messages from the TIPM to determine the proper turn signal and hazard warning indicator operation.
Chris,

Thanks for the info! The answer to my question seems to be that there are no more relays for the turn signals. The whole process has been integrated onto circuit boards within the vehicle's logic circuitry. Interesting! Thank you for the information!

Also, the "Turn Signal-On Textual Warning Message" is a nice touch that I wasn't aware of. This is one of those things that all vehicles should come standard with.

By the way, have you heard anything back about the small relay box that's located behind the main fuse box?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/330554-identification-needed-relay-box.html

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
What are you trying to do?
DJ,

I'm toying with LEDs in lieu of the OEM 3057 incandescent bulbs used for the brake/turn signals. Instead of adding resistors to the circuitry in order to cure the hyperflashing caused by the low resistance of LEDs, I wanted to just swap relays. In this case, though, since the turn signal relays no longer exist, I'll have to resort to using resistors.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

By the way, have you heard anything back about the small relay box that's located behind the main fuse box?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/330554-identification-needed-relay-box.html

I have sent it to 3 people now with no definitive response. I will keep asking until I can get the information you are looking for in that thread.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Total Loss
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCares

I have sent it to 3 people now with no definitive response. I will keep asking until I can get the information you are looking for in that thread.
Thanks, Chris! I appreciate your assistance.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
mm25ftx
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update on the flasher unit? I was about to pull the trigger on LED turn signals in the front and rear, but it looks like there may not be a relay for the flashers? superbrightleds.com doesn't sell a compatable flasher or even a load resistor...i guess converting to LED's are out of the question unless anybody has any info.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by mm25ftx
Any update on the flasher unit? I was about to pull the trigger on LED turn signals in the front and rear, but it looks like there may not be a relay for the flashers? superbrightleds.com doesn't sell a compatable flasher or even a load resistor...i guess converting to LED's are out of the question unless anybody has any info.
You can change your bulbs to LEDs, but you will definitely need a resistor. 6 ohms per [bulb] should do it. The computer controls everything and can identify when the circuit is not drawing enough power, indicating a bulb failure, and hyperflashing the LEDs. Just wire the resistor in-line and you will not get the hyperflash or bulb out warning.

Last edited by coldsteel; 09-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Where Are The Turn Signal Relays Located?