3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Help! 2nd Row Headliner Rattle

Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM
lahlefeld
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2nd Row Headliner Rattle

I've got a 2012 SXT with the moonroof that has less than 3000 miles on it, and I have just started hearing a rattle right around the controls for the rear A/C blower. I mainly hear it on bumpy roads, but it seems to be getting more steady.

At first, I thought it was the sun roof rattling, but after playing with it (Opening/closing/vent) i realised that the rattle exists no matter what position the sun roof is in. It sounds to me like the sound is coming from inside the box that contains the fan/air conditioning controls for the rear of the D.

Have any of you guys experienced this problem? Also, does anyone know the best way to take the rear A/C control box out? I would like to get in there to see what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
2012sxt
Professional

there is another post with the same issue and I believe he found the fix to it...search through the 3g durango threads and you will find it. You can also try placing some felt in between the headliner and roof to take away the movement at the location of the noise

Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
2012sxt
Professional
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Bayou_Flyer

I just updated my post linked above....I know your pain and hope My solution helped!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
lahlefeld

Thanks for the help. I read through your post though, and my rattle seems to be a bit different from the one you experienced.

My rattle sounds a lot more like a loose piece of foam, or bracing, that is banging around in headliner area. Every time I hit a bump, I get a nice shuttering sound out of it.

It is one of the most annoying things I have ever heard inside of a car! I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, to be taken care of. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Court2020

I am having the same issue....a vibrating rattle coming from around the dome light area above the second row in the healiner. It only occurs when i go over bumpy roads; however, it is extremely annoying. I have only had the new 2012 Durango for only four weeks now. I am taking to to a dealer as soon as they get through their "holiday rush". I have found that when it occurs, I can push up on the ceiling and it goes away. It is fairly embarrassing when I have passengers in my car and it happens, considering they know I just bought the vehicle. Also, I have two more "rattles". One is a popping noise that is around the headliner above the passenger seat. I also have a popping noise above the driver's seat in the headliner. Now, these do not all happen at once, and it is not all the time. I am extremely disappointed, because I love my car! I just hope the dealership does not mess anything else up as they are "fixing" the problem. I am also concerned that they will not hear the noise when they take it on a test drive. All in all, it is very ridiculous that I am having to deal with such an issue with a new vehicle. Suggestions anyone????

Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
bster
Rookie
Thumbs down

Welcome to the world of owning a Dodge. You will soon see that the rattles are just a start of things to come. Wait until the ticking and steering shimmy begins, the rattles will seem like nothing. You will get to know your dealer service people really well, but you get tired of them saying "They all do that, that's just the way they are"

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Court2020
I am having the same issue....a vibrating rattle coming from around the dome light area above the second row in the healiner. It only occurs when i go over bumpy roads; however, it is extremely annoying. I have only had the new 2012 Durango for only four weeks now. I am taking to to a dealer as soon as they get through their "holiday rush". I have found that when it occurs, I can push up on the ceiling and it goes away. It is fairly embarrassing when I have passengers in my car and it happens, considering they know I just bought the vehicle. Also, I have two more "rattles". One is a popping noise that is around the headliner above the passenger seat. I also have a popping noise above the driver's seat in the headliner. Now, these do not all happen at once, and it is not all the time. I am extremely disappointed, because I love my car! I just hope the dealership does not mess anything else up as they are "fixing" the problem. I am also concerned that they will not hear the noise when they take it on a test drive. All in all, it is very ridiculous that I am having to deal with such an issue with a new vehicle. Suggestions anyone????
Court,

Sorry to hear the issue you are experiencing with your new Durango. There is a case available for the dealer to reference regarding the rattle above the headliner. I am posting it below. If a trip to the dealer does not solve the problem I would suggest a call to the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center and they will get a Chrysler tech involved to fix the issues. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Case Number: S1223000041
Release Date: 12/11/2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Rattle From Rear Overhead HVAC Ducts
Diagnosis:
The customer may experience a rattle sound from the rear of the vehicle above the second row seat. An audible buzz, squeak, or rattle (BSR) or ticking sound may appear to be coming from the B or C-pillar area.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Court2020

Thank you so much for your help! I am definitely going to give the dealership the Case Number information and go from there! I appreciate it!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Court2020
Thank you so much for your help! I am definitely going to give the dealership the Case Number information and go from there! I appreciate it!

YW. Post back up the results of your visit please to let us know what happened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! 2nd Row Headliner Rattle