Used Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Durango?

Hey everyone,

After a long hiatus from the Dodge family, I'm looking to jump back in with a new or slightly used Durango.

I'm mostly looking at used 2011-2012 models, but I'm considering the new 2013's as well. Are there any major differences or fixes made from the initial 2011 MY to 2012 MY? Any other stuff I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Jared

Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Not too much changed, but be aware the Remote Start Comfort system doesn't work as advertised in some 2011 and 2012 models. There is a fix in the works, but ETA is unknown. It works in my 2011 though so you may find a winner.

The radios installed within and between model years seem pretty random so figure out which interface you like best (which NAV system you like best).

We look forward to seeing pics of whatever you get.

Regards,
Jarrod

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Thanks Jarrod.

As far as towing with a Durango (lets assume a RWD with V6), if it didn't come from the factory with a tow package, what should I do to prep it? The couple I've seen don't appear to have hitches...unless their hidden behind the bumper or something.

Not looking to tow anything massive....maybe just an open air trailer for hauling furniture, etc.

One other thing - do all of the touch screen systems come with navigation of some kind? I've seen one SXT with the 430, and I believe a Crew with the 730, but I haven't had any in-person time with either yet to check it out.

Last edited by 03neonRT; 09-19-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 03neonRT
Hey everyone,

After a long hiatus from the Dodge family, I'm looking to jump back in with a new or slightly used Durango.

I'm mostly looking at used 2011-2012 models, but I'm considering the new 2013's as well. Are there any major differences or fixes made from the initial 2011 MY to 2012 MY? Any other stuff I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Jared
Jared,

If you are going to purchase used, I can send you a build sheet on whatever your looking at if you PM me the Vin.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Thanks Chris, just sent you a PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at used Durangos

I Jerad -

My experience is that the sales people selling these things are all morons, so it seems that you have to actually turn on the vehicle and see it work to know for sure. When I was looking at new ones if it had a "Nav" button on the stereo sure it had nav, but even some without the Nav button had it.

Regarding the tow hitch, I think every Crew model I looked at had the factory receiver. Sometimes with the rubber cover installed, sometimes not. (mine was still in a baggie in the cargo area when I took delivery) I will say this is one of the things I liked about the D vs. some other vehicles I saw. I feel a lot more confident about a factory installed tow and wiring arrangement than I do about something added on later.

Someone here will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 2012 model introduced the 2nd row captain chair/center console option. I recall this was maybe about $700 to $1000 MSRP option. I was happy to get the bench and have seating for another person plus a flatter load area with all seats down.

Steve

Last edited by wi-steve; 09-19-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
bluebastion
Professional

Originally Posted by wi-steve
I Jerad -
I feel a lot more confident about a factory installed tow and wiring arrangement than I do about something added on later.

Someone here will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 2012 model introduced the 2nd row captain chair/center console option. I recall this was maybe about $700 to $1000 MSRP option. I was happy to get the bench and have seating for another person plus a flatter load area with all seats down.

Steve
OP, the factory installed tow receiver would be the better route to go if you plan on doing any towing. It's not just the hitch but the other items the tow package comes with (auto leveling rear end) and I believe the heavy duty engine cooling...

As for the radio question, this site should help you figure out what the radio possibilities are for the Durango. If you're wanting everything, the 730n RHR is the one you'll want... but it may just come down to personal taste in the end:

http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/dodge/

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to try and test drive a few tonight, so hopefully I find one that fits the bill.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Alright folks. I'm doing an overnight test drive of a 2011 Crew. Black exterior, dark interior, 430 RBZ, remote start, etc. I also couldn't find a good used one with the tow package, so I guess I'll just write that off, since I wouldn't have been doing much towing anyway.

Anyway, I'm really loving the Durango so far. The ride is smooth, has much better power and handling then I expected, brakes very well, and the MPG is great. I drove about 50 miles in city between last night and this AM, and I'm averaging 19.5.

I'm going back to the dealer this afternoon, and need to haggle the price down a little more, and then I'll probably close the deal.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Quick question for you guys: this particular Crew comes with the 3.06 ratio...I've heard that there is also a 3.09 around as well. Pros/Cons to either?

Quick Reply: Used Durango?