Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 3rd Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Durango 2011 models

E85 Gas

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Battle1 Battle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Durango CREW AWD
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 11
Default E85 Gas

Just filled up my D with E85 for the first time and wondered if anyone is running E85 in their D. If so, any thoughts on performance, mileage etc.? So far it seems like I'm about 3.5 miles less than unleaded regular(87 octane) but, the price difference is about 62 cents less per gal of e85! What do you think?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
wi-steve wi-steve is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 177
Default

I tried it when my Crew V6 awd was new. Around here E85 runs about 10% less than the cost of traditional 87 octane (10% ethanol blend). My MPG dropped by about 25% and it became even more sluggish than usual. On top of that I personally feel that the whole ethanol thing just doesn't make economic sense as an alternative fuel. The energy and subsidies needed to create it bother me.

So it's not for me. My thought is that converting fleet vehicles to CNG is probably the low hanging fruit when it comes to reducing oil imports/consumption.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Battle1 Battle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Durango CREW AWD
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 11
Default

I haven't noticed any performance issues as of yet. Actually, I thought it ran a little better on E85 than regular. I guess it just feels mentally better to fill up for substantially less! It's good to have options.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM
bbtkd bbtkd is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Durango Citadel AWD Hemi, 2007 Hemi Charger AWD, 1972 Ranchero GT with 400+ HP motor
Location: Earth
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle1 View Post
Just filled up my D with E85 for the first time and wondered if anyone is running E85 in their D. If so, any thoughts on performance, mileage etc.? So far it seems like I'm about 3.5 miles less than unleaded regular(87 octane) but, the price difference is about 62 cents less per gal of e85! What do you think?
Mine is not rated for E85, but I was talking to the dealer service manager about E85 and they said they've had a lot of issues with E85 fueled vehicles coming in with fouled plugs. Apparently you shouldn't use E85 if you drive it short distances before stopping for a while. To avoid fouling, the vehicle needs to run long enough to warm up. One of their customers tried using it for security guards where they drove it for a minute or two every few hours at shift change or break/lunch relief, and it repeatedly fouled the plugs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
bwdakrt's Avatar
bwdakrt bwdakrt is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T
Location: Claremont NC
Posts: 1,201
Default

Ethanol in gasoline is a mandate set up by the Federal government so the producers of the junk will have a market for it! It's bad enough the taxpayers have billions of $$$ invested in the form of subsidies for a product no body wants and the producers get to keep all the profit! Must be nice to be in the ethanol business!!!
__________________


I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Battle1 Battle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Durango CREW AWD
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 11
Default

Not trying to get into the politics of E85 gas..It really doesn't matter how you feel about it you're using it every time you fill up whether its E85 or not (up to 10% ethanol in EVERY gallon of gas regardless of grade). The point of the conversation is, IF you have used it and HOW do you feel about performance/gas mileage vs. regular gas. Any opinons specific to that are appreciated! By the way, anyone that is running a modified engine that is made for E85 would probably love paying about $1.00 less than Premium gas and getting 100 octane to boot!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
bwdakrt's Avatar
bwdakrt bwdakrt is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T
Location: Claremont NC
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle1 View Post
Not trying to get into the politics of E85 gas..It really doesn't matter how you feel about it you're using it every time you fill up whether its E85 or not (up to 10% ethanol in EVERY gallon of gas regardless of grade). The point of the conversation is, IF you have used it and HOW do you feel about performance/gas mileage vs. regular gas. Any opinons specific to that are appreciated! By the way, anyone that is running a modified engine that is made for E85 would probably love paying about $1.00 less than Premium gas and getting 100 octane to boot!!!
Sorry about the injection of politics into the thread but the money you save at the pump is more than offset in lost mpg.

I have a local station where I get my gas that sells 100% gasoline. If I'm out of town and have to fill up with 10% ethanol to get home I can kiss 2-2.5 mpg goodbye on the ethanol! It's junk and we're being FORCED to use it! You may save money up front but you'll lose it on the tail end!
__________________


I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Double D Mods Double D Mods is offline
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2011 Durango R/T AWD
Location: Kieler, Wi.
Posts: 420
Default

I never use anything less than 91 octane in any of my cars...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
baum baum is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default

unless your a tree hugger e85 is only a bennifit if its about 65-70% the cost of reg. gas. with the amount you lose in milage its not worth it. i have yet to burn it in my d since all the e85 by me is only about .20 cents cheaper than reg gas. about 10 years ago i had a ranger that would burn it and i tried in there, however back then it was alot cheaper so it met th breaking even point.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
navyjetmech's Avatar
navyjetmech navyjetmech is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle: BMW Z4/Laramie/Road King
Posts: 74
Default

I have had bad experiences with E85 the ethanol gums up your fuel tank and fuel lines over time and definitely fouls the plugs . It happened in by boat and in my buddies Avalanche. If you do the math you will see the amount you save versus the MPG you lose pretty much comes out even if you were to use 87 octane. So is an extra $10 saved at the tank worth future problems? That is something you must decide. I will never put that **** in vechicles again. I drive 20 miles out of way and buy ethanol free gas at 5 cents more per gallon. I average 21-22 in town and 24-25 on the highway. My two cents.
__________________
"The solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM
baum baum is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyjetmech View Post
I have had bad experiences with E85 the ethanol gums up your fuel tank and fuel lines over time and definitely fouls the plugs . It happened in by boat and in my buddies Avalanche. If you do the math you will see the amount you save versus the MPG you lose pretty much comes out even if you were to use 87 octane. So is an extra $10 saved at the tank worth future problems? That is something you must decide. I will never put that **** in vechicles again. I drive 20 miles out of way and buy ethanol free gas at 5 cents more per gallon. I average 21-22 in town and 24-25 on the highway. My two cents.

Are your boat and avalanche both e85 vehicles? if they dont say it on the gas cap or near it you cant just put it in your tank.

e85 vehicles are built to be able to use it so the gumming doesnt happen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
navyjetmech's Avatar
navyjetmech navyjetmech is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle: BMW Z4/Laramie/Road King
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
Are your boat and avalanche both e85 vehicles? if they dont say it on the gas cap or near it you cant just put it in your tank.

e85 vehicles are built to be able to use it so the gumming doesnt happen
Should have made myself more clear. The Avalanche is rated for E85 fuel. As far as the boat no it is not, I never put E85 in the boat. The problems on the boat were caused by using fuel that had ethonal in the fuel. It is a well documented problem in the boating world. Not much most people can do about buying gas with some ethonal in it, since that's what 99.9% of the stations sell. My point is with what I have experienced I choose to not use E85 or fuel with ethonal in it on a regular basis. Regardless of the price you pay , ethonal contains less energy than gas. This means that your car won't go as far on a gallon of E85, and your fuel economy will decrease by 20-30 percent.
__________________
"The solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Battle1 Battle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Durango CREW AWD
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 11
Default

Cars/trucks that are made for e85 shouldn't have any problems running it. I use it in my D and my wife's Regal turbo with zero issues. I've done a lot of research on the subject and although there is a fuel economy loss due to e85, the performance gains are there and in my area the price difference is enough to make it worth while.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
bbtkd bbtkd is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Durango Citadel AWD Hemi, 2007 Hemi Charger AWD, 1972 Ranchero GT with 400+ HP motor
Location: Earth
Posts: 343
Default

Someone commented that every grade has at least 10% ethanol but that is not the case, at least not everywhere. Here in SD (6th highest ethanol producing state and bordering #1, #2, and #4) we can get 0%, 10%, 85% and they're starting to put in blender pumps which allow several other percentages. I like the idea of any fuel that helps us become energy independent. Between electric, ethanol, shale/sand oil, and increasing mileage, I am optimistic. That said, I don't think I'd use E85 myself even though one our three cars is capable.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM
HeMiDD305 HeMiDD305 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 163
Default

I do not use e85 in my durango as I have the 5.7l, but I do use e85 in my Gov patrol car everyday. I can tell you that in my Govy Impala, I get about 11 miles per gallon and what others have stated about gumming up parts of the fuel tank is quite true. It has gotten so bad in some patrol cars, fuel will not steadily flow into the tank because of a build up on the sensors on the top of the tank. This issue has been addressed several times with our motor pool. They have told us that is inevitable that the build up will occur and we will have to deal with every few thousand miles. I am sure some people can attest to the problems at the pump. As for performance, our newer cars do not seem to be affected much by it, but the older impalas have always been sluggish.
__________________
2005 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition/6" Rough Country Lift/20" KMC Rockstars/35" Nitto Trail Grapplers/Katzkin black leather/completely murdered out-Sold
2011 Brilliant Black Dodge Durango Crew Hemi/20" Gloss Black SRT Reps/AFE intake/ Black WeatherTech Mats /5% 3M tint
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM
HeMiDD305 HeMiDD305 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyjetmech View Post
Should have made myself more clear. The Avalanche is rated for E85 fuel. As far as the boat no it is not, I never put E85 in the boat. The problems on the boat were caused by using fuel that had ethonal in the fuel. It is a well documented problem in the boating world. Not much most people can do about buying gas with some ethonal in it, since that's what 99.9% of the stations sell. My point is with what I have experienced I choose to not use E85 or fuel with ethonal in it on a regular basis. Regardless of the price you pay , ethonal contains less energy than gas. This means that your car won't go as far on a gallon of E85, and your fuel economy will decrease by 20-30 percent.
One of the reasons I fuel the boat up on the water. I'm sure friends of yours have had to replace fuel pumps because of the ethanol. In Florida, most of my friends and I will only fuel at the docks
__________________
2005 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition/6" Rough Country Lift/20" KMC Rockstars/35" Nitto Trail Grapplers/Katzkin black leather/completely murdered out-Sold
2011 Brilliant Black Dodge Durango Crew Hemi/20" Gloss Black SRT Reps/AFE intake/ Black WeatherTech Mats /5% 3M tint
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Farming man Farming man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdakrt View Post
Ethanol in gasoline is a mandate set up by the Federal government so the producers of the junk will have a market for it! It's bad enough the taxpayers have billions of $$$ invested in the form of subsidies for a product no body wants and the producers get to keep all the profit! Must be nice to be in the ethanol business!!!
Not to come out and call anyone a liar here, but I thought a little dose of truth would help here. I have seen several comments about the subsidies of ethanol (e85). The Ethanol industry did/does not receive "Billions" of dollars in subsidies. Ethonal has not received ANY subsidies in many years. Yes there was some subsidies to help it get started, but that was CENTS to the $100 that the oil industry receives EVERY year. Before you go bad mouthing the ethanol industry, please note the Billions of subsidies that Big Oil get and compare it to the ethanol industry that gets $0.
Yeah, is it the best? Not always. But it's still a renewable product that is doing something to help the issue of dependance on oil.
I grow corn, so I use it. I has done wonders for the corn industry. Has it hurt the livestock industry? Not one bit. Dried Distillers Grain is a by product from ethanol that has much higher nutrient value than straight corn. It's so popular that it's almost hard to get some.
Get the facts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 PM
nicola.dinisio nicola.dinisio is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2011 Durango Citadel 3.6L AWD
Location: Germany
Posts: 33
Default

E85 is a waste of time.
It has less chemical bounds and thus energy per liter of product, to the point that you need to pay it about 30% less than regular petrol to break even energy-wise.
And the fact that it has higher octane value does not mean a thing in terms of power or energy. It is a poor fuel when compared to real and pure Petrol (Gas).
The cherry on the cake is that vehicles not specifically engineered for using E85 may suffer several problems in the sealing of the tank and the gas pipes.

Depending on where you live there might be much better alternatives.
LPG is the best one in the EU, because it is not taxed, it comes at 0.55 €/liter (the equivalent of $2 for a US Gallon), without loss of power and only minimal loss of mileage (10-20% depending on the quality of your LPG system). And a 90 Liters LPG tank can be mounted in place of the spare tire on the DD.
CNG is even cheaper (if not taxed) but the engine loses some power, not a big deal though. The CNG tank however takes up space in the trunk if the vehicle does not come factory equipped. This is a major pain in the neck for most.

Last edited by nicola.dinisio; 02-16-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM
bbtkd bbtkd is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Durango Citadel AWD Hemi, 2007 Hemi Charger AWD, 1972 Ranchero GT with 400+ HP motor
Location: Earth
Posts: 343
Default

I used to like the idea of E85 since it supports energy independence from unfriendly nations. Then I talked to a service manager who said that he would never advise using E85 unless you always run the vehicle long enough to fully warm up. If you use a car in town for short runs, you will foul out the plugs. One of our cars takes E85, but have never and never will run E85 in it. Perhaps E15 or E20 would be a workable compromise.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails