3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

E85 Gas

Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Battle1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 Gas

Just filled up my D with E85 for the first time and wondered if anyone is running E85 in their D. If so, any thoughts on performance, mileage etc.? So far it seems like I'm about 3.5 miles less than unleaded regular(87 octane) but, the price difference is about 62 cents less per gal of e85! What do you think?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried it when my Crew V6 awd was new. Around here E85 runs about 10% less than the cost of traditional 87 octane (10% ethanol blend). My MPG dropped by about 25% and it became even more sluggish than usual. On top of that I personally feel that the whole ethanol thing just doesn't make economic sense as an alternative fuel. The energy and subsidies needed to create it bother me.

So it's not for me. My thought is that converting fleet vehicles to CNG is probably the low hanging fruit when it comes to reducing oil imports/consumption.

Steve

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Battle1

I haven't noticed any performance issues as of yet. Actually, I thought it ran a little better on E85 than regular. I guess it just feels mentally better to fill up for substantially less! It's good to have options.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Battle1
Just filled up my D with E85 for the first time and wondered if anyone is running E85 in their D. If so, any thoughts on performance, mileage etc.? So far it seems like I'm about 3.5 miles less than unleaded regular(87 octane) but, the price difference is about 62 cents less per gal of e85! What do you think?
Mine is not rated for E85, but I was talking to the dealer service manager about E85 and they said they've had a lot of issues with E85 fueled vehicles coming in with fouled plugs. Apparently you shouldn't use E85 if you drive it short distances before stopping for a while. To avoid fouling, the vehicle needs to run long enough to warm up. One of their customers tried using it for security guards where they drove it for a minute or two every few hours at shift change or break/lunch relief, and it repeatedly fouled the plugs.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethanol in gasoline is a mandate set up by the Federal government so the producers of the junk will have a market for it! It's bad enough the taxpayers have billions of $$$ invested in the form of subsidies for a product no body wants and the producers get to keep all the profit! Must be nice to be in the ethanol business!!!

The following users liked this post:
waynecomp (08-12-2020)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Battle1

Not trying to get into the politics of E85 gas..It really doesn't matter how you feel about it you're using it every time you fill up whether its E85 or not (up to 10% ethanol in EVERY gallon of gas regardless of grade). The point of the conversation is, IF you have used it and HOW do you feel about performance/gas mileage vs. regular gas. Any opinons specific to that are appreciated! By the way, anyone that is running a modified engine that is made for E85 would probably love paying about $1.00 less than Premium gas and getting 100 octane to boot!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Battle1
Not trying to get into the politics of E85 gas..It really doesn't matter how you feel about it you're using it every time you fill up whether its E85 or not (up to 10% ethanol in EVERY gallon of gas regardless of grade). The point of the conversation is, IF you have used it and HOW do you feel about performance/gas mileage vs. regular gas. Any opinons specific to that are appreciated! By the way, anyone that is running a modified engine that is made for E85 would probably love paying about $1.00 less than Premium gas and getting 100 octane to boot!!!
Sorry about the injection of politics into the thread but the money you save at the pump is more than offset in lost mpg.

I have a local station where I get my gas that sells 100% gasoline. If I'm out of town and have to fill up with 10% ethanol to get home I can kiss 2-2.5 mpg goodbye on the ethanol! It's junk and we're being FORCED to use it! You may save money up front but you'll lose it on the tail end!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Double D Mods
Former Vendor

I never use anything less than 91 octane in any of my cars...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
baum
Professional

unless your a tree hugger e85 is only a bennifit if its about 65-70% the cost of reg. gas. with the amount you lose in milage its not worth it. i have yet to burn it in my d since all the e85 by me is only about .20 cents cheaper than reg gas. about 10 years ago i had a ranger that would burn it and i tried in there, however back then it was alot cheaper so it met th breaking even point.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
navyjetmech
Rookie

I have had bad experiences with E85 the ethanol gums up your fuel tank and fuel lines over time and definitely fouls the plugs . It happened in by boat and in my buddies Avalanche. If you do the math you will see the amount you save versus the MPG you lose pretty much comes out even if you were to use 87 octane. So is an extra $10 saved at the tank worth future problems? That is something you must decide. I will never put that **** in vechicles again. I drive 20 miles out of way and buy ethanol free gas at 5 cents more per gallon. I average 21-22 in town and 24-25 on the highway. My two cents.

Search this Thread