Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

How do I remove the outer rear tail lamp

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I removed the two visible fasteners and just pulled hard and finally it popped out.

I ended up just replacing with a sylvania 3057 LongLife bulb, $5.99 a pair. Now just need to hope they do really last longer. AutoZone also had some LEDs, but they wanted $17 for a pair. I looked on amazon for LEDs but didn't like the reviews.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
baum
Professional

Originally Posted by happyfirst
So I removed the two visible fasteners and just pulled hard and finally it popped out.

I ended up just replacing with a sylvania 3057 LongLife bulb, $5.99 a pair. Now just need to hope they do really last longer. AutoZone also had some LEDs, but they wanted $17 for a pair. I looked on amazon for LEDs but didn't like the reviews.

Are you talking about the ones on the outside tail light (brake/ turn) or the ones in the tailgate?

If the ones in the tailgate, you need to remove the interior panle to remove 3 "hidden" screws

Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
kennyjim
Default it comes out eventually

yeah the outer housings need a hard pull and there is nothing to get a grip!
Changed mine, pulled the 2 pins easy enough and tried rubber gloves to get a grip and pull --- is scary how those plugs hold the unit in so hard -- was sure I would crack/break something. Ended up using a 90deg pry-bar in where the 2 plugs came from and that got it out.
Be careful pushing the thing to the side etc, book says pull straight backwards -- there are plugs that grip into vehicle at front and back end of the unit

the bulbs in the tailgate----anyone got step-by-steps for changing them?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Benowl44

I had the lift gate bulb go out as well, but wasn't sure how to replace it. Somewhere else on this site I read how to do it. I got as far as popping out the plastic hand holds with a flat head screwdriver(carefully as it will dig into the plastic). It seems easiest to pry it out from the top side of the hand hold. I was hesitant to remove the trim panel inside. I didn't want to break it! Instead, I had the dealer do it for me while they investigated why my lift gate lock/unlock button was not working. When I got home I looked at the trim, which was loose. I decided to pop off the trim panel and see how to change the bulb for the future. Turns out, once you take off the trim, you just have to twist the back side of the bulb and it comes right out. The dealer broke off quite a few of the plastic trim clips, thus the loose trim. I'm not sure if they knew they broke them and left it like that since they would be going back inside next week, or just did a half assed job. I'm going with the latter! Nevertheless, if you carefully pop off the trim, it's a simple bulb change. There is one metal clip on each side where the trim meets the thin upper trim piece. That may be the easiest place to get started pulling off the trim. Work it off carefully and it will hang on by electrical wires on each side while you replace the bulb. Then, the trim just needs to be lined up and firmly "punched" back in place. I think it would be wise to pick up some extra trim clips if you are out buying a bulb anyway. I snapped a pic to show the dealer the broken clips. It's not the best pic, but it gives you some idea of the fasteners used. I'll try to figure out how to insert the image and post it. Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Benowl44
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur

Originally Posted by NUTTS12CREW
Wait until you have the pleasure of the ones on the lift gate! I just had my passenger side go out, so while I had it apart, I replaced both sides with LED's. Hopefully they last a long time.
Hey...noticed you mention replacing the liftgate bulbs with LED's...can you share the make and bulb number you used? I asked the Dealer when I had them replace one of mine if there were an LED option (since I'm a baby and didn't want to pull the panel off and will have to have the Dealer replace my bulbs...I know, I know...I'm a wimp)...but they were less than helpful.

Thanks!

Craig

Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Definetely post pics