3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Full review of 2014 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mixed feelings about it.

I'd love the bigger screen and newer software, but I don't like all of the infotainment changes. I wasn't liking how few buttons I had to begin with for the stereo, and it seems the '14 has even less. Whenever I'm the passenger in our D, I hate using the stereo as I just don't like touch interfaces for even the simplest things. I don't like that the AC temps are now on the lcd screen. I'd prefer if they'd just of left all the AC stuff together.

Now the LCD dash, that is really nice. But does the new dash cluster truly show any new info?

The headlights, I don't know. It's nice they're getting with the current LED fad but I am tiring of seeing cars with curvy LED "lines". I think I would have preferred the original design with angel eyes.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
SAN DOG 34
Amateur

I must say I'm lil dissappointed in myself cuz I bought my 13' Durango last August and was trying to find out when the 14' was coming and what changes they would make. I love the 8 speed tranny, new grill, new 8.5" Radio Screen, Blu Ray and some of the other new or upgraded tech stuff. The one thing I notice that it kinda takes away from that aggresive or mean look that our 13' Durango's have. It's almost looking a typical SUV and not that Roadster or Track SUV. Just my thoughts. Hate the rims too!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
jwr9152
Professional

I must be the only one that likes the 2014 R/T front and wheels better then the 11-13. I know i'm probably crazy but I like the 11-13 Citadel on stock wheels better then the 11-13 R/T on stock wheels. I say on stock wheels because I have seen some R/T's with aftermarket wheels that I like a lot more then my Citadel. For 14 I like the R/T on stock wheels better then the Citadel. By the way I hate the current Citadel wheels, I just dislike the R/T wheels more. All that being said I need new wheels.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by happyfirst
I have mixed feelings about it.

I'd love the bigger screen and newer software, but I don't like all of the infotainment changes. I wasn't liking how few buttons I had to begin with for the stereo, and it seems the '14 has even less. Whenever I'm the passenger in our D, I hate using the stereo as I just don't like touch interfaces for even the simplest things. I don't like that the AC temps are now on the lcd screen. I'd prefer if they'd just of left all the AC stuff together.

Now the LCD dash, that is really nice. But does the new dash cluster truly show any new info?

The headlights, I don't know. It's nice they're getting with the current LED fad but I am tiring of seeing cars with curvy LED "lines". I think I would have preferred the original design with angel eyes.
I kind of like the new headlight look. Don't dislike the current look, but also like the new look.

I also agree that some buttons are better left as buttons - things you want to be able to access all the time regardless of what's going on on the screen.

What surprises me is that the 8 speed tranny doesn't provide a larger improvement in mpg.

What I really like is the new ACC that comes to a full stop. In traffic (where us city dwellers do most of our driving) this removes a lot of stress.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM
-Ross-
Rookie

I'm just interested in if/how much the 8spd transmission improves the Hemi's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

I like most all of the upgrades/updates, but I don't see myself buying one later this year since I just bought a 2013 R/T a month and half ago.

I'm with a couple of others in here. I'm not real big into having to navigate through the touchscreen to perform simple tasks.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 PM
vectorz
Professional

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'm just interested in if/how much the 8spd transmission improves the Hemi's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I do have to ask - Why? It's not like the D is remotely anywhere near being the top fastest SUV or fastest anything. You'd be hard pressed to find any vehicle out there that the D (even the R/T) could beat including a base Dodge Journey R/T. Why waste your time trying to get the D to a fast 1/4 time and instead just buy a 2nd or 3rd car on the side for the fun stuff. That's not what the Durango was meant for.

Last edited by vectorz; 04-03-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
-Ross-
Rookie

Originally Posted by vectorz
Don't take this the wrong way, but I do have to ask - Why? It's not like the D is remotely anywhere near being the top fastest SUV or fastest anything. You'd be hard pressed to find any vehicle out there that the D (even the R/T) could beat including a base Dodge Journey R/T. Why waste your time trying to get the D to a fast 1/4 time and instead just buy a 2nd or 3rd car on the side for the fun stuff. That's not what the Durango was meant for.
Maybe because I'm a car guy and care about quickness? I have a 1986 Buick Regal T-Type that is capable of mid 10 second 1/4 mile passes. This doesn't curb my desire for my family wagon to be quicker than it's competitors (I.E. Explorer Sport).

A mid 14 second 1/4 in a 6-7 passenger 5000 lb naturally aspirated SUV is pretty dang impressive in my book.

When you ask me why, I ask you "Why not?".

Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
vectorz
Professional
Thumbs up

I heard the D r/t official 1/4 times were 16.5 - anyway i understand the need to go fast . Who do you race and where do you do it in the D?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

While I dont think these are lightning quick, they do get up and go very nicely. By the way the journey is a dog! Been there drove that, it suffers from the same torque management programming that we do.
With a minimal mods, the 5.7 D can have better runs and quicker throttle response.
As Ross said we are talking about a 5000lb truck running the 1/4 pretty quickly.
Also if the new 8 speeds only benefit is 4-5% better gas mileage and less than a second gain from 0-60. I am ok with my 2013 R/T
STEVE

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
jwr9152
Professional

Originally Posted by -Ross-

I like most all of the upgrades/updates, but I don't see myself buying one later this year since I just bought a 2013 R/T a month and half ago.

I'm with a couple of others in here. I'm not real big into having to navigate through the touchscreen to perform simple tasks.
+1 on the acceleration. I got the Durango because at the time it was the most fun to drive 3 row SUV out there. I understand it is never going to win a race and don't care, but I do want it to be the most fun to drive possible. Quicker off the line would help that. Pretty happy with it at highway speeds, accelerates better then a lot of cars on the road.

As far as the touchscreen, I have a 2012 Charger R/T with the 8.4 and it is so much easier to use and better laid out then my Durango. The 14 Durango 8.4 is supposed to be even better then the Charger, so I would bet you will end up liking it better.

Quick Reply: Full review of 2014 Durango