3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Tuning a '12, Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow getting out of hand fast....go to the track and settle it there.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by -ross-
ahh, daniel son.

sweet

Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM
-Ross-
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
Wow getting out of hand fast....go to the track and settle it there.

I live in the Houston, TX area. If anyone around here with a 2wd R/T who has the following mods wants to line them up at the track, I would be down.

CAI
Diablosport Tuner

My mods are:

Airaid CAI
Hypertech Interceptor

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

Originally Posted by -Ross-
These are near stock Durangos. Not stroked and blown SRT8 Challengers.

For a guy looking to remain very close to stock (like myself), I just don't see any real advantage with either "tuner" over the other.

I do agree though. If you are planning heavier mods, a true "tuner" (one someone could tweak on during a dyno session) would be the way to go.

I think Hypertech would work just fine for the original poster's needs.
my point on the pretty much stock vehicle is that the diablo can help monitor all critical systems whereas the hypertech can do ZIP....zero. Thye can also be used for mileage tunes, towing tunes, mds removal, pull codes etc etc. Believe me.,.. this is not my first "go around" on any of this. Ive see the hypertech interceptor like stuff come and go....mostly to the trash. Theres gonna be bugs with diablos, hypertechs etc....just as there are bugs in durnagos, grand cherokees or a Lexus. Its all man made and not perfect. But to set by and allow enthusiasts friends to buy this useless snake oil harness is not in my dna.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

Originally Posted by CMil527
I haven't purchased a tune yet but simply seeing the positive results vs.the ohhh my dash light is on, ohhh that feature isn't working or the "we will work the bugs out" speech that diablo is slinging on a $500 product controlling a $10k power train is a lil bogus IMO. I get why your pushing the diablo Scott in regards to them being a sponsor on your forum, their track record as a tuner and the hypertech units limitations but bottom line in this regard is you have never used either on a 3g Durango...to which I say wow...just wow!

I thought we were friends bro...i really dont appreciate that statement. Diablo HAS NEVER been a sponsor or vendor on my forum...and never will be. I will say this....i dont plan on heavily modding my wifes durango with power mods....but once the diablos are released for the 2011 heat V6's....i will get a diablo trinity if for nothing more than to monitor the vehicles vital systems....somehting the interceptor will NEVER be able to do.....which is silly. How do you guys REALLY know what its doing to your trucks?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes..I was busting your chops I certainly didn't mean any offense by my comments at all, I also thought Diablo was a vendor on your forum so my apologies on both counts. Again I don't run either tune I just know that we have a number of guys seeing positive results and mjnewman dyno'd his rig and saw gains so I simply don't get why its wholeheartedly dismissed by a few guys who have zero experience with it? Much like you its not my first go round either I've run handhelds, piggybacks and sent out for a full on new ecm on my ram srt10 and I've seen both positives and negatives to all.. I'm simply trying to be open minded to ALL options and not disparage a product that works. Again if I offended u I'm sorry that wasn't my intent!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

no problem.
I just dont see the comparison to an actual handheld unit that does so much more. No doubt you guys are seeing gains or positives from the interceptor....but how long will that last? The PCM and computer control systems in these vehicles are smarter than we think or realize. Ive seen these piggy back type items sell like crazy when they first come out.....only for vehicle owners realize that the vehicles systems out smarted the piggy backs and actually return to stock adaptives or reduce performance ETC. after a couple thousand miles. Really....just look up jet chips and the like on google. same concept basically.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see someone independently test both to see a true review.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
visions6699

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I live in the Houston, TX area. If anyone around here with a 2wd R/T who has the following mods wants to line them up at the track, I would be down.

CAI
Diablosport Tuner

My mods are:

Airaid CAI
Hypertech Interceptor
i live in Houston and i would like to do this just for fun! lol
i have the following mods

volant CAI
diablosport 93 tune
flowmaster exhaust

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by visions6699
i live in Houston and i would like to do this just for fun! lol
i have the following mods

volant CAI
diablosport 93 tune
flowmaster exhaust

Hell ya Houston....home of Frank Racing the boys that got my 5.7 whipping 6.1's asses with some great heads, cam and custom tuning for my Magnum. Got her in the low 12's with a little N20 of course....hehehe! Ahhh the good old days... I haven't sprayed her in a long time.

Oh and Texas is home to some one of my favorite places to get my Krav Maga training in...San Antonio!

Quick Reply: Tuning a '12, Which one to get?