3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Diablo in tune vs. Hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
phoneguy589
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the Prius was over working when the battery acid was spraying out of the tailpipe.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Prius drivers only respond to sign language.

Middle finger. --i--

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Way2QWK

Does either tuning device offer any improvements to transmission shifting? My biggest complaints with the stock durango is the soft shift feel and the sluggish downshifts. Id rather have a performance shifting trans than even 50+hp. I would think the diablo tuner would be the best chance of changing the trans tune but havent heard anyone speak about it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
jwr9152
Professional

Originally Posted by Way2QWK
Does either tuning device offer any improvements to transmission shifting? My biggest complaints with the stock durango is the soft shift feel and the sluggish downshifts. Id rather have a performance shifting trans than even 50+hp. I would think the diablo tuner would be the best chance of changing the trans tune but havent heard anyone speak about it.
Driveability improves with the hypertech but the Diablo will let you custom tune. Sounds like the Diablo may suit what you want to do better. I'm sure current Diablo owners will have good input.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Way2QWK
The diablosport should help you in this regard!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 PM
SS2RT
Captain

Originally Posted by CMil527
The diablosport should help you in this regard!
keyword being "SHOULD"

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44342

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43202

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44904

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=42993

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44512

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44342

not being a dick I wanted
to do some shift tweaking and data/performance logging but still no '13 support and they're still working to fix '11 & '12 issues looks like...prob never waste the time or $$ on one of these now anyway, since My baby runs so good now with the HT-i + K&N CAI + I got my hands on a magnaflow cat-back gonna try it out...add in the brembos and I should be in really good shape!

HT-I tuner + K&N CAI = $525 average price = absolutely the best improvement per dollar in MPG's. sound, and performance (and even if you pick a more expensive CAI to suit preference it shouldn't matter, should see similar results)

I was going to ignore this thread really...Didnt think I had the strength...but I am so happy with the results of such cheap, simple and safe mods that I couldn't resist...

pound for pound, $ for $, and the warranty worries of
the other option(s), and the unstable/inconsistent results I am hearing - I cant see a diablo tuner being an option for me, AT LEAST for 2-3 years, if at all...especially on this particular year/make/model vehicle which makes a big difference in this case. In many other make/model/year applications the Diablo/programmer route would be ALOT more attractive...

Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Agreed. Thanks for the links so people can really make an informed decision.

Doing research on the few wiring diagrams I can get my hands on to build 1. A fan switch 2. A disable TQ man switch + my hypertech, 180 stat and volant combo. Then IM DONE.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank for the links bro.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 AM
SS2RT
Captain

i have been tracking these to see if I can feel comfortable buying one to try it out...But how the hell can you feel good about it with these type of issues and responses...The risk reward argument just isn't there, not even close...not on these vehicles...
If i could toggle MDS on/Off on the fly and tweak shift points and disable TQ mgmt - all safely and confidently, then I would be interested..but those features either aren't readily available or aren't sounding stable...would love to see/hear different one day

Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

this thread will turn into nothing but a pissing match. BUT honestly...I see the Hypertech being the BEST choice right now and maybe for quite awhile for the Durango. I seriously doubt youll see very many durango owners mod their durangos for speed etc. where the Diablo will be needed. For the few that will...the diablo is the unanimoius choice. I do have a friend at diablo that did the hydrodipping for my durangos engine bay and he says there are way more happy owners than unhappy. They have sold hundreds of tuners for the 11+ Grand Cherokee with very few reported problems. Matter of fact...most reported problems end up being end user problems. I sure you will see problems wiht the hypertech as well. It goes with the business. Good luck to all. There are some beautiful rides here!

Quick Reply: Diablo in tune vs. Hypertech