Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Durango 2011 models

Shell Gas in the D

Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 13 Durango RT, 13 GT500, 13 Charger RT, 08 Explorer
Meticulous Detail
Default Shell Gas in the D

I have experienced this before with many vehicles that I have owned or use at work, but Shell gas just makes the D run better. I was putting 87 Octane in and switched to 89 on the last 2 fill-ups and did not notice a difference in performance.

So I filled up with 87 Shell for the first time a few days ago and the D just runs better, feels stronger, better part throttle and pick up. Just thought I would pass the info along. Maybe I will try Shell 89 but that will cost about 100$ in NYC.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

Every option, except chrome and tow pkge.
https://www.facebook.com/meticulous.detail.3
www.meticulous-detail.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Champion

Vehicle: '12 Dodge Durango R/T AWD

... lol shell regular gave you better performance? C'mon now
'12 Durango R/T-Maximum Steel Metallic-AWD-730N-Adaptive Cruise-Rear VES-Leather Group-Tow Package Mods: Reverse HID's-Lamin-X tails, partial headlights & side markers-VG Sharkfin Antenna-20% Tint-License Plate LED's-Nokya Yellow Fogs!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Meticulous Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMil527 View Post
... lol shell regular gave you better performance? C'mon now
Not joking, dead serious. I have had several take home and personal vehicles that Shell gas has made difference in the performance of some of these vehicles. My Shelby runs better too. Definitely not in my head.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Champion

Vehicle: '12 Dodge Durango R/T AWD

Ok I guess I will have to try a tank of Shell... I'm sure its better gas and could certainly understand if you had said you went from regular to premium, I guess I'll have to try it!!
'12 Durango R/T-Maximum Steel Metallic-AWD-730N-Adaptive Cruise-Rear VES-Leather Group-Tow Package Mods: Reverse HID's-Lamin-X tails, partial headlights & side markers-VG Sharkfin Antenna-20% Tint-License Plate LED's-Nokya Yellow Fogs!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 2014 Durango Limited

I know that BP works better and sounds better in my 11 Crew V6. And on Highway I've gotten as much as 28 mpg going to PA from Staten Island, NY. No noticeable difference from 87 to 89 but definitely from 93 to the lower grades. And if you put in an octane booster and Lucas fuel injector cleaner then damn it's like a new truck
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Durango Citidel Hemi AWD

Since my shop recommended Shell for my 300 I have used that in the D consistently.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran

Meticulous Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW1265 View Post
I know that BP works better and sounds better in my 11 Crew V6. And on Highway I've gotten as much as 28 mpg going to PA from Staten Island, NY. No noticeable difference from 87 to 89 but definitely from 93 to the lower grades. And if you put in an octane booster and Lucas fuel injector cleaner then damn it's like a new truck
Good to know, maybe Shell 93 would be really good but can get expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEWRX View Post
Since my shop recommended Shell for my 300 I have used that in the D consistently.
And how do you like it compared to other brands of gas?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
All Star

Vehicle: 13' Durango R/T AWD, & 07 CTS-V, & 99 C5 Vette,
TPhil25101

I have always used Sunoco, 89 and higher, one reason is my neighbor owns the local Sunoco I get my gas at and I like to remind him I'm paying for his lights to be on at night and the other is because I have never used the local Exxon station after they crushed the coast with crude. I will give this a try next fill up as well.
2013 DURANGO R/T Bright White, AWD: 730Nav, 2-Row Captian Chairs/Console, Sunroof,Tow Pkg. MODS: FR 22" Vipers in white,Falken 285/40/22 Z04s, Magnaflow exhaust,Hypertech Interceptor Tuner,Volant CAI, Painted engine cover,Mopar pedals,White R/T grill emblem, MPG custom caliper covers,Billet Tech catch can,tint,VG Sharkfin Ant, weathertech vent shades.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4.7 V8

Shell seems to have the best gas. My neighbor refuses to get gas anywhere else cause he claims it gives 1-2 more mpg.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 2013 DURANGO R/T AWD
Steve Smits

Ill have to find a shell and try it
Currently use HESS 93 most of the time.
STEVE
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 2013 DURANGO R/T - AWD - BLACK

does sunoco still have that 94 octane stuff ?

remember getting it years ago...i would like to try it again just to see..
or was it pulled for being BS ? !
'13 DURANGO R/T AWD - 22' SRT8 REPS, DIABLO 93 TUNE, K&N 77 SERIES CAI, BORLA CAT-BACK EXHAUST, BREMBO SRT8 CALIPERS, BREMBO SPORT ROTORS, GOODRIDGE SS BRAKE LINES, SHARKFIN ANTENNA, DE-BADGE/RE-BADGE, TINT GLASS/TAILS, MOPAR SS PEDALS...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Captain

This whole discussion is BS snake oil. Show me your dyno results and I'll give you some quarter. Otherwise this is all silly. Gasoline is sold and traded as a commodity, and so you might be getting "Shell" refined gasoline at the local discount shop as well.

It's also possible to get a bad tank from ANY station if you're at the bottom of their tank, or they have some problem.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 2013 Hemi AWD crew

You have to watch who delivers the gas to that station. Then watch that same truck drive next door to the next no name station.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM

Russell Kirsner

Great thread. I have ONLY used Shell medium grade gas since I newly bought my 2012 Durango R/T. Even my wife knows this rule! It may be 100% psychological...but why ruin a good thing...

Shell gas literally makes bird wings come out of the side of my Durango and I can actually fly over traffic. Maybe its the Nitrogen enriched gas...but thats just a guess.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 2012 Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRT View Post
t may be 100% psychological...but why ruin a good thing...
If it makes you happy, fine. I'm sure it makes Shell happy.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Captain

Vehicle: 2013 DURANGO R/T - AWD - BLACK

i stick with brand name stations and high octane..
if you search you'll find many stories about stations caught selling dirty and under-spec'd gas and its always a no name dumpy brand ...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran

Meticulous Detail

Lets get something straight, I posted this thread to tell others about my experience with Shell gas in my personal cars and several take home cars that I get from work that have those pretty blue and red lights and are usually in the left lane. I am not the only person at work or in this thread that has felt a difference in with Shell. I don't work for Shell Oil Company and am no way affiliated with them, so call BS if you want, but I am sticking with Shell.

Stop with the "dyno results" comments, for God sake it's a tank full of a different brand of gas and this a daily driven family hauler. If you don't like it or don't feel it runs slightly better then don't buy it again.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 2013 DURANGO R/T AWD
Steve Smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyadreems View Post
Lets get something straight, I posted this thread to tell others about my experience with Shell gas in my personal cars and several take home cars that I get from work that have those pretty blue and red lights and are usually in the left lane. I am not the only person at work or in this thread that has felt a difference in with Shell. I don't work for Shell Oil Company and am no way affiliated with them, so call BS if you want, but I am sticking with Shell.

Stop with the "dyno results" comments, for God sake it's a tank full of a different brand of gas and this a daily driven family hauler. If you don't like it or don't feel it runs slightly better then don't buy it again.
I cant even try it...No Damn Shell anymore they closed up.
The same trucks may deliver fuels to different stations but that in no way indicates same products. Different manufacturers add different additives to the gas and have different process they refine by.
I agree that shell has always been a better quality product as well as Amoco Ultimate which contains techron fuel cleaner.
STEVE
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Call me cheap (I am, and I know it), but the tough thing for me is that the local Shells are running $3.59/g for regular, whereas I can go to Sam's, Costco, or Walmart (Murphy) and pay $3.32 to .34/g. You go mid-grade and Shell's running between $3.79 to .89/g. OK, go ahead, call me names. I can take it.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Captain

This may be your personal experience, but without dyno results it really is all in your head (and guess what....it is:-) ). Some people think when the put a little spoiler on the back of their car that it goes faster. Some people put slick 50 in their oil and swear their car runs faster and gets better mpg. When I was a kid I was CERTAIN that when I got new sneakers I could run faster and jump higher. Whatever makes you happy -- fine. But if I were you I wouldn't take that to the bank.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM