3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Dodge Dealerships and Kuhmo Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have documented road force balance and match mount before and after results with the Kuhmos. 2 of my 4 tires even after match mounting still produce a vibration. In my opinion they are poor quality and I likely have at least 2 tires that could be replaced under warranty, but I have not had the time and energy to fight out this issue with the dealer. My efforts and focus right now are resolving the clunking noises coming from the rear suspension.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
adbutz
Rookie

I'm impartial to tire brands as long as my vehicle drives straight and my steering wheel doesn't wobble. It sounds easy to go out and replace all the tires but I want to spend as little as possible as this was a rough couple months financially due to a lengthy family trip and my kids school/sports registrations. In Canada to replace the tires on the Durango with a reputable brand is easily 1500 plus dollars. We get taken to the cleaners for everything up here. I did read some reviews on the Goodyears Fortera's but the reviews did not seem to good either. Further I had some Goodyears on my Charger and they had be replaced at 33000km, therefore, I'm not a big fan of theirs. In terms of traction and noise I can't complain about the Kuhmo's as I would say they are average. I just want my vehicle to drive the way it should that's all.

Last edited by adbutz; 06-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by CMil527
I guess opinions vary, while I'm not a huge fan of the kumho's I've seen no more/less complaints on here than the goodyears and in my experience through the years I much preferred my one set of kumho's over either of my sets of goodyears which both sucked horribly... Point is have the dealer find the problem as there's tons of vibration complaints on here that are alignment related not simply one tire manufacturer!
I would never suggest that the Fortera is a "great" tire. Goodyear makes some of the best tires on the planet; the Fortera is just average at best. But at least it's a quality tire. Kumho makes some high performance tires that would blow away a Fortera from a ride/performance standpoint, but you have to be lucky enough to get a good pair because they just don't make quality tires.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pricewise, after checking www.tirerack.com, the 265/50/20 Fortera is $122 and the Kuhmo Solus is $138. They have 17 265/50/20s that'll work on the Gen 3 Durangos and they're priced from $122 to $409, so somewhere in there you should be able to find a decent set of shoes for the baby.
Personally, I like my wine, women, and tires from France. I bought my first set of Michelins radials in 1972 for my 142 Volvo and have run nothing but Michelins on all my cars since. Yeah, they ain't cheap, but in 40-plus years I've never had one fail, they deliver decent MPG, provide good handling, and every set has given me at least 50K miles. That checks all the boxes on my list. :-)

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
Pricewise, after checking www.tirerack.com, the 265/50/20 Fortera is $122 and the Kuhmo Solus is $138. They have 17 265/50/20s that'll work on the Gen 3 Durangos and they're priced from $122 to $409, so somewhere in there you should be able to find a decent set of shoes for the baby.
Personally, I like my wine, women, and tires from France. I bought my first set of Michelins radials in 1972 for my 142 Volvo and have run nothing but Michelins on all my cars since. Yeah, they ain't cheap, but in 40-plus years I've never had one fail, they deliver decent MPG, provide good handling, and every set has given me at least 50K miles. That checks all the boxes on my list. :-)
Agree 100%. And the only Michelin I ever bought was an OEM.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 AM
CMil527
Champion

Originally Posted by JRRF
I would never suggest that the Fortera is a "great" tire. Goodyear makes some of the best tires on the planet; the Fortera is just average at best. But at least it's a quality tire. Kumho makes some high performance tires that would blow away a Fortera from a ride/performance standpoint, but you have to be lucky enough to get a good pair because they just don't make quality tires.
Agreed and to clarify I wasnt speaking of a specific tire by either brand just stating my experience with a particular tire brand... in fact wifey's Acadia has the Fortera's on it and their holding up quite well! I'm simply of the opinion and again it may be my opinion alone but that no one here should pigeon hole the Kuhmo's as the issue when I've seen guys with other brands as well as larger wheels complain of vibration even after rebalancing and quite a few guys reference that they had alignment issues on new trucks...so there are a number of possibilities imo, hell my stock kuhmo's are sitting in the garage I used em for 200 miles so I could care less of Kuhmo's reputation just the facts at hand in the posts I've seen.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Your AWD came with KUMHO's? Most of the AWD came with Goodyears only I thought.
Learn something new everyday
STEVE

Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 AM
CMil527
Champion

Yes sir Kuhmo's Solus!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
PortAuthorityCop
Rookie

ADBUTZ Its funny I posted a thread a month or so ago on here regarding a conversation I had directly with Kumho customer service. Unfortunately in the thread I posted a couple of complaints along with the tire issue and the other complaints seemed to be the focus and nobody even responded regarding the kunho convo. We 2012 ers have tires that are not of a higher quality compound that say a kumho Solus from Tirerack would have. That tire is warranty for 60k where the OEM kumho are not warranty at all. This came straight from a Kumho customer service rep in a recorded conversation. The auto manufacturer purchases the tires specific for production and assembly. I could not believe this woman said this. She offered 25% off another set of Kumhos at a local participating retailer AKA Sears for me, and no you cannot use a place for example Mavis Discount Tire here in NY even if they sell Kumho. Has to be in Kumho s list of retailers from them. My RT has 20k on it and my wear bars are not very far from top of tread block, however dealership did tell me I still had good meat on them, which is a good thing being I would have expected them to try and hit me for some new skins. I know your issue was different, but I just wanted to support your cause and letting you know you are not alone when it comes to Kumho Solus issues. Now we know why there are GY Fortera s on 2k13s.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
woblik
Veteran

In the last few vehicles i owned, i put general altimax tires on, and i was very pleased with them.

I bought my 12 dd rt with 27k on it, had a new set of falkens. Theyre ok, but i kind of want new ones. More importantly, id like to get a set of 22 black viper reps or grey srt reps.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dealerships and Kuhmo Tires