3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Dodge Dealerships and Kuhmo Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
adbutz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm sad to report the steering wheel wobble is back. I've taken the vehicle out twice since the tires were replaced. My first drive was good with only a little wobble in the steering wheel. That said it was minor and I would have been happy to live with it. Today however, the wobble was just as bad as it was before the tires were swapped out. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

I have had the same isssue since day 1 and the dealer nearby refused to acknowledge that the wheel shakes around 70 mph and finally admitted that it does but not to the degree that it needs to be addressed. I have gotten used to it but now the vibration can be clearly felt in the seats as well. The car has 41,000 miles on it and I am ordering new 22" wheels for it. Once installed I will revisit this thread with an update.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
adbutz
Rookie

I would appreciate that. Thank you

Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 PM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

Swapping wheels and tires completely solved the vibration issue that had been with the car from the start. Because it had gotten progessively worse (seats were shaking as well as the steering wheel) I believe one of the wheels may have been damaged and ran further from true as time went on.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Thanks for the update AMG. Its good to hear that new tires may solve this issue. I've tried bumping up my air pressure in the fronts to 40psi to see this helps resolve the problem. Two short drives and no issues. That said, this issue always comes and goes so I'm not to optomistic yet. I don't want to go two high on the fronts though as the rears are still at 36PSI and if I go higher the clunk from the rear end becomes apparent. Out of curiosity, what type of tires did you go with?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///AMG Hauler
I believe one of the wheels may have been damaged and ran further from true as time went on.
That would have been appearent had they checked the wear patterns on the tires. If the tire wasn't true I'd have looked for a snake-like wear pattern as the tire would be forced left then right then left etc. as the wheel revolved.
Nonetheless, glad the problem is solved.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

Two week update and the steering wheel wobble has returned on an intermittent basis. The wobble now occurs around 62mph where before it was 70+. The seats do not shake any more which leads me to believe the very worn oem tires may have caused that problem which started around 40,000 miles.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Thats what I feared. I think there is more going on here than tires. I was cleaning my Durango a couple days ago and while doing so I noted that the steering wheel has a lot of play even when locked in while the car is off. It suprised me that simply wiping the steering wheel it caused it to bounce side to side. Curious, I pulled the wheel in one dirction then let go. This caused a resonse similar to the wobble while driving. The wheel wobbled back and forth probably up to five times. The best way to describe it was like the column was made of softer rubber which just bounced around. I tried this with my Dodge Charger and Pontiac Montana and both were stiff and locked in with little to no play. Is this normal for the Durango.

Last edited by adbutz; 08-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by ///AMG Hauler
Two week update and the steering wheel wobble has returned on an intermittent basis. The wobble now occurs around 62mph where before it was 70+. The seats do not shake any more which leads me to believe the very worn oem tires may have caused that problem which started around 40,000 miles.
Are you sure it's not the road? Frequently (especially in a place like FL) an asphalt highway with lots of rush hour traffic can actually get wavy and cause a little shake in your steering wheel. Where I live I know exactly where I'm going to get it -- it's where the road experiences the most stop and go in rush hour, and the trucks wind up having to hit the brakes a lot. That causes the road in hot weather to get waves in it.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by adbutz
Thats what I feared. I think there is more going on here than tires. I was cleaning my Durango a couple days ago and while doing so I noted that the steering wheel has a lot of play even when locked in while the car is off. It suprised me that simply wiping the steering wheel it caused it to bounce side to side. Curious, I pulled the wheel in one dirction then let go. This caused a resonse similar to the wobble while driving. The wheel wobbled back and forth probably up to five times. The best way to describe it was like the column was made of softer rubber which just bounced around. I tried this with my Dodge Charger and Pontiac Montana and both were stiff and locked in with little to no play. Is this normal for the Durango.
That's not unusual on any car if the wheel is on-center when you turn off the car. If you turn the wheel and then turn off the car (putting a load on the rack) and lock it, it should be tight as can be.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dealerships and Kuhmo Tires