3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Supercharger Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
sbindley
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.4 vs a blown 5.7 is an old thread that has been endlessly argued many times on many brands and it can go on forever - "Yeah, a 5.7 with a blower makes 500+ hp, but if I put headers and a cam on my 6.4..."

Anyway, I'm just 50 or so flywheel away from the 6.4 now with my current setup, so the 120+ from the blower, tuned properly should be well beyond a stock 6.4. For daily driving, the other parts mentioned should be fine and if not, would need to be upgraded with a 6.4 as well, right? I just did a crazy swap in a Solstice and it was a blast, but a ton of work to complete. Of course, the 5.7 to 6.4, Dodge to Dodge with room under the hood is not as extreme, but I would guess not a plug and play either. There are always plenty of things that come up.

So, I guess my answer is simple. I'm choosing FI on my 5.7 and planning to use a system built specifically for the 5.7 Hemi. I'm going with the low boost choice (8 lbs).

For sure, I'd love to see a 6.4 swap and look forward to the feedback a member might provide all of us if he or she steps up to the plate. I wish Dodge built a 392 D, but, to date, they have not, so I am putting together my own SRT version. Hope to know more about fitment this week.

Good luck to all in your D modding pursuits.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM
MJNewman
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im looking at $7500 installed for the 6.4 and thatd be a truer SRT than a s/c 5.7. With s/c setup youll be around $10k installed ish. But i like the idea and keep running with it dude.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM
sbindley
Professional

Well, then. I stand corrected. I was thinking those numbers would be reversed, and then some. I can't speak for what your shop is offering to keep all that custom labor, machining custom mounts, plumbing issues, etc., down on a one-off install. Perhaps they are offering a huge break on labor like my guys, who want to be the first and are giving me a far better deal than the public -- far below the 10K you quoted on my behalf. (Don't use that Shop Hemi retail price as that is a proprietary system they sell with a bunch of extras I don't need. I'm getting from Maggie for much less.)

Anyway, I would love a 6.4, so if there is anything close to a turn key for $7500, I need to find out how that can be done. I'll check with my shop today, but I just don't see how I can match the deal that you have secured -- I am seeing $7500 just for a crate engine and that does not include ECU or custom headers needed and then labor would be on top of that. If you have a line on a source for clean, low-mileage 2012 or later 6.4's for half than that or less, can you share it with me/us?

I just don't see the math working for me. My shop, Cordes Performance in Tempe, AZ, does tons of work on SRT's as well as many swaps that are way more extreme than the 5.7 to 6.4. (They have 3 RX7's in there with LS V8's right now.) Joe Cordes should know pretty quickly how the two options compare for the general public. Of course, my build may require some custom tweaks as well, so it is hard for me to quote specific numbers at this time, but I am doing this, so I will report what I find, and hopefully, you will all have a choice for your own 500+ horsepower D, tested and ready to go.

Hoping to know where all stands next week when they get my car and start test fitting blowers. I guess there is also the question of Maggie vs Edelbrock, because if one fits, then the other likely will also. I put the Edelbrock high boost blower on my LS3 Solstice and was happy with it, but am leaning toward the Maggie for the Durango. (I have a Maggie on my 07 Jeep Wrangler and it is great -- really quiet).

Great discussion for sure.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM
V for Victory
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now this thread has my attention!!!! MJ you build the 392 swap, and SBindley you the FI 5.7, work out all the kinks for all of us to make a educated decision on where to go and how much.....Awesome I love numbers like 500 HP.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
sbindley
Professional

I'm in!!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM
V for Victory
All Star

Originally Posted by sbindley
I'm in!!
NICE!!!! I have been reading about the Edelbrock system and I like it a lot, although the Maggie is time tested on many platforms, the Chevy guys love them on their LS motors.
So you my friend have a tough decision to make, I would like to see the EB E-force myself because it looks so much cleaner when installed!

Tom

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM
sbindley
Professional

I went with the Edel on my LS Solstice because with thought it would fit under the hood (it did not). I ended up adding a scoop to make it work and liked the scoop as much as anything else on that car. I doubt there is an issue on the D, and I do think I have more clearance with the ram-air hood. I need to see about fitment, then look at pricing, ease of install and make a choice.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
CMil527
Champion

I'm sure Ripp can get their ram system to work somehow

Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
sbindley
Professional

Ok, got some prelim measurements based on part comparisons and it looks like the twin screws will fit. As Magnacharger has been more open to working with us on parts and issues for this, they are getting the sale. Will get truck in next week, he'll look over a couple of things and then decide which of two systems to order. Then they bolt it on and start seeing what lines, hoses, etc., might need to be adjusted.

Last edited by sbindley; 07-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Nice Keep us posted on progress
STEVE

Quick Reply: Supercharger Project