See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer case fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:24 PM
adkent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I did confirm that the rear-end on the 2011 Citadel AWD does require a 14mm allen. However, the transfer-case (after getting past the damn skid-plate) takes an 8mm allen as per mikeinaz's suggestion (had a Chrysler logo). Also, thanks for the advice re: fill-hole vs drain-hole. I inspected the rear diff and transfer case via the fill-hole -- color looks good, although the the fluid-level is a bit down on transfer case as I couldn't pick up anything with a q-tip in the fill-hole. I'll see if I can take some pics of the transfer case to add to this thread once I get back under there later today.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Wash Man
All Star

These are not your grandpas drive train. These fluids should be good for at least 120,000 and I bet it looks almost new if you pull a sample at 120,000.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM
adkent

Here's a pic of the transfer case looking toward the front of the vehicle - fluid looked good but was about 1/2 quart low so I topped it off with some Castrol ATF+4. Hand-pump was a good call as it is very tight up there. Fill hole is a little hard to see -- top left of picture.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
mikeinaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember draining my rear dif w/ just 2-3k miles on it and was shocked at how dark the oil was and how thin it seemed. I was happy to put a better quality synthetic oil in, especially since I do put more stress on mine pulling a camper through mountains several times a year. Cheap peace of mind.

On a separate note, I has the transmission fluid changed over at about 8k and it shifts like a totally different vehicle, much smoother and my trans oil temps run about 10-15 degrees cooler than w/ the stock trans fluid. I had it done at the dealer, they charged me $70 for labor for a full exchange (like 17 quarts) and I supplied my own oil. Again I swear by Amsoil as I've used it over the years in everything I own, even generators and lawn mowers and I can tell a noticeable difference in it and can back that up by oil analysis I have done. I did this due to what I feel is extreme duty, living in AZ where it is hot and dusty and towing up mountain grades in the heat w/a 30' camper behind me. I don't think the average driver needs to worry much about it but I am **** when it comes to maintenance.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
adkent

Does Amsoil have a certified/approved Chrysler ATF+4 fluid? I only ask as I'd like to preserve what's left on the drive-train warranty.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM
mikeinaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from their site on the ATF section when you put in Dodge or Chrysler,

Proven in 100,000-mile, Severe-Service Taxi Fleet Field Trial
To demonstrate its effectiveness in severe service, Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF was installed in vehicles owned by a Las Vegas cab company. The vehicles routinely encountered demanding stop-and-go driving loaded with passengers and cargo, while the desert environment presented extremely hot ambient temperatures, placing enormous strain on the fluid. Following 100,000 miles, a transmission was selected for analysis. The Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test (ABOT) is one industry-accepted method used to determine a transmission fluid's oxidation resistance, which is a good indicator of its service life. Testing by an independent, third-party lab reveals that after 100,000 miles in severe service, Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF resisted oxidation longer than required for new fluid to meet the Chrysler ATF+4 specification (see graph). Internal components, including the valve body and clutch plates (pictured), were *******ly free of damaging sludge, deposits and wear, confirming the lubricant’s high level of protection for severe-service applications.

The whole page is here http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATFQT-EA

Quick Reply: Transfer case fluid change