3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 RT acceleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Syn804
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have the SXT....do you think it will change gas mileage any? My truck also does the exact same thing on hills...I have a 2013 SXT with less than 3k miles....and also I do not have push button start...how could I do this?

Last edited by Syn804; 07-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Just turn your key to run position foot off brake and not start, do pedal procedure and turn it off then drive as normal
STEVE

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM
R3TRO

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
You can also (if equipped) turn the Tow Haul on. It will turn the MDS off and give you FULL control of the vehicle without having any sort of "limits". A regional tech told me this trick. He also said the 2014 will not have this issue along with some other we are all currently having.......waiting for the ordering to start I will be one of the first on the list to give back my 2013 R/T for the 2014 R/T.

My R/T came with the tow packages so I thought I'd try both methods because the acceleration response/lag has been driving me crazy since day one! Results...

First did the pedal recalibration and there was a noticible difference, enough so to put a smile on my face. BUT then pressed the tow/haul button and holy **** I wasn't expecting this! Great throttle response now, gears hold longer, tranny eager to downshift, and I can actually peel out without having to foot brake from a standstill.

I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to use 6th gear on the freeway, looks to rev 500rpms higher now? I don't care if this hurts my gas milage, I got the R/T for a reason dammit! Wish now I didn't have to press the button with every start... but I'll do it!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

From what I have been told, the 2014 models will not have this issue since they are going to the 8 speed trans. I was also told that with the paddle shifters, tow haul option, and the performance tuned engine on the 14's we will have endless "playing" points to enjoy the R/T's.

I am going to move to the 2014 since I bought my 2013 last month and have the smoking issue. Chrysler actually offered to move me to the 2014 here on my driveway and give me a little incentives program to do so since I spent the entire first week without my truck while they put a new oil pan on it that did not fix the problem and after the regional tech supervisor came here and seen first hand the problems with the truck.

Glad the information I posted helped out! I did however try the pedal trick and that did not do anything for me. I will try again today in case I messed it up the first time.....lol

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

There will be no different performance overall from the 14 just drivability and smoother shifting. My friend and I had lengthy conversations with some of the Dodge peeps at Carlisle. I agree the drivability will help deliver power differently but overall they will have same HP and torque. The change in transmission was primarily done to save GAS.
You didnt do the pedal trick correctly, try again.
The Paddle shifter are a cool addition if not anything , but just cause they are cool
STEVE

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
You can also (if equipped) turn the Tow Haul on. It will turn the MDS off and give you FULL control of the vehicle without having any sort of "limits". A regional tech told me this trick. He also said the 2014 will not have this issue along with some other we are all currently having.......waiting for the ordering to start I will be one of the first on the list to give
back my 2013 R/T for the 2014 R/T.
I wish it gave "Full Control" but traction control, stability management and Torque Management all ate still very much active, reducing the real fun. Pull your Traction control fuse to really disable. However lots of lights on and mine went into Limp Home Mode. After 1 crazy pull.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Tow/haul makes my 12 Citadel behave like my 05 did. When I moved up last year I was disappointed with the performance and felt that it was mostly an issue of shift point programming and gearing. This "fix" works around the shift point issue and the extra HP over my 05 makes up for the gearing. Now I'm wondering if there may be any adverse effects of using the tow/haul other than impacting MPG. Anyone know?

I wonder if this "mod" accomplishes at least 75% of what the tuning modules accomplish, and it is much easier, cheaper, and doesn't risk warranty issues.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Only gas mileage suffers. Try tow Haul with a hypertech on! Feels like a different truck.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM
mrsims65
Rookie

Originally Posted by inyadreems
From FSTDANGO3 in another post

Do the factory pedal calibration it helps. Sit in the D and do not touch the brake pedal. Now push the start button twice until it gets to run(again dont actually start or touch brake) Now slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and slowly let it come all the way back up. Now hit the start button again to turn everything off. Start your D normally and see if the pedal is a little more responsive now.
Did it this morning and notice the D responds a lot better now, wife drove to go food shopping and said the gas pedal is different said she had to be lighter on it then usual and then I told her what I did...she also notice the difference.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM
V for Victory
All Star

I have done both these tricks and my truck hauls azz. But I do remember reading about several TSB's out there for our DD's on the 0-10 mph lack of acceleration, do a search for these numbers, I'm taking mine in next service time and requesting they check these out and flash my electronics if needed.

TSB-21-003-13 released April 27, 2013. Driveline bump at approx. 10mph this TSB covers the lastest DCTM flash.

TSB-18-027-13 released July 12, 2013. This TSB is a Evap leak issue but also has a transmission low speed, rolling stop downshift performance software upgrade.

TSB-17-005-13 released April 3, 2013. This is the clunk, rattle noise in the load leveling shocks which replaced defective shocks to the newest part # ending in AG. already done this once and going back for round two. (not a trans issue but had it out and thought I would share.)

Quick Reply: 2013 RT acceleration hesitation