3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Question about safety choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
bcdrafter46
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about safety choices

Hi, I just bought a new 2013 Durango and I really like it and the new electronics it comes with. I haven't had a new vehicle in a while, so I have been impressed with the new features that cars can come with now. Back, 5 or 6 years ago, I had a new Yukon. Actually, it was the third Yukon I have had, back before the crash, and I had money. Anyway, they came with automatic headlights. I really liked that feature because you never had to think of the headlights, they just took care of themselves. I never forgot to turn them on and never forgot to turn them off and run the battery down. Now, just to mention a change in public opinion on the day use of headlights, over the last 20 years, more and more people have started using their headlights in the day time as a safety feature, and that includes me. I think most drivers would agree that it is safer to use your headlights during daylight hours. It makes your vehicle more noticeable on the road. Since I started driving my Yukons with their automatic headlights, I have always used my headlights day or night. I fire up the rig, the headlights come on. I turn the rig off, the headlights go off. It made me feel safer and I got used to driving with my headlights always on. After the market crash, I had less money, so I had to drive older vehicles. Vehicles that didn't have automatic headlights. But, I just got used to having to remember to turn them on and then remember to turn them off. Which I did, most of the time, but I did forget to turn them off once in a while. Now, I have bought this new durango and I was excited that I would have automatic headlights again and could stop having to remember to turn them on or off. Not so! Dodge has had to try and make them even better, but in fact, has made them less safe. The headlights have a sensor that only turns them on in low light settings, so therefore, during daylight hours, the headlights don't come on. In order for me to have headlights on during the daytime for safety, I have to use the manual position of the headlights. So, now again, I have to remember to turn them on. It does beep at me when I forget to turn them off, so that is nice. I won't run the battery down, but I find myself driving for a long time and then remembering that I hadn't turned my headlights on, so a lot of times I drive clear to my destination before I remember I hadn't turn my headlights on. I am a little frustrated at this new and improved headlight system. I have come onto this forum to see if anyone agrees with me, found a solution to this problem, or just thinks I am crazy.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Doesn't your durango have daytime running lights?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Just have to relearn how to turn your headlights on and off...

Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm old school and don't mind turning lights off and on, even though my DD is set to turn on the headlights in low light situtations. In the old dys if you didn't turn on your lights someone would definately tell you by blinkng their high beams at you. No big deal.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't your durango have daytime running lights?
He doesn't say, but if it is an R/T, no DRL's....

Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Waynead
Veteran

No DRLs is my biggest complaint about my '12 Citadel.

I like the auto headlights too- wish the sensitivity of when they turn on was adjustable instead of having to cover the sensor with something (which by the way will have them come on all the time, if that's what you want).

Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by Waynead

I like the auto headlights too- wish the sensitivity of when they turn on was adjustable instead of having to cover the sensor with something (which by the way will have them come on all the time, if that's what you want).
This is not a bad idea, but unfortunately it also then turns down your dash lights so you can't see anything there.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
greenstuff

Originally Posted by Waynead

Talk to a dealer about programming the DRL. I imported a US 2011 Citadel into Canada ( DRL are required ). The US dealer I bought from programmed the DRL for me before shipping.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 AM
baum
Professional

^^^ he took the words out of my mouth..

yes in the d its a programmable option that the dealer can turn on (you need a star scan or whatever its called now days). Problem is not all dealers know how to turn it on siince in the states its not required.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by baum
^^^ he took the words out of my mouth..

yes in the d its a programmable option that the dealer can turn on (you need a star scan or whatever its called now days). Problem is not all dealers know how to turn it on siince in the states its not required.
Not all 13 D's have the relay for the DRL's. R/T's don't. The way I understand it, even if you put the relay in, the wiring isn't there to support it. It's the relay that turns the DRL's off when you turn the headlights on and vice versa. So you have to have it. If you have the relay/wiring, then the dealer can turn them on and off depending on the laws.

Quick Reply: Question about safety choices