3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

looking for a little help from everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps the 2014 will be doing it as well cause the 2014 cherokees are doing it!
No difference in motors!
The higher idle is just going to add more fule and rpms and burn it off quicker.
STEVE

Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

I can sort of understand them saying it is normal for a passenger car or even the durango, as they should not see this angle often, but a Hemi Jeep no way?!? I can just see all the mountain trails being shut down because the tree huggers dont like the smoking Hemi Grand Cherokee's going up or down them. Those things should be designed to sit on a lot steeper angles without smoking. Its definitly not normal.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

I would think a catch can would fill up and need to be drained too often to be a fix, if its as severe as it sounds, that would be a PITA.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

It doesnt happen that much in regular driving...The resevoir gets oil in it under hard acceleration and just sits there.
Then under a hard foot or slope it runs out the back into intake runners
A catch can on a hemi will have about 3-4 ounces in it between oil changes under normal driving
STEVE

Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

The Tech said adding the catch can would do nothing. It only happens when parked and running on the incline. It does not happen while driving the vehicle at all. Purely what he said. I am not adding anything to the vehicle until they are done messing around.

As for the oil never registers while on an incline, I will have to say you are a little wrong. Even on a slight incline oil would register on a dip stick. Not the correct way, but there would be oil residue on the stick. Not in this case, it had nothing, Nada, on the stick. It seems all the oil is draining out of the engine and then causing the metal /heat friction, then causing it to smoke. I tried it with my 2006 Cherokee on the driveway next to the smoker when this all first went down and it had oil register on the stick.

I figured the newer Durango and Cherokees where going to smoke. As there is no redesign in the engine. But, then why would he offer to put me into another vehicle that is going to smoke? Have they put this fix on the new Durango and have they been testing it all the while? If not I would have thought they would have wanted my truck for observations?

They have already had one try at fixing the vehicle by putting on the oil pan. If this fix does not work at the second attempt and they do not work the right numbers on the 2014 I am going to lemon law it and then go buy a different manufacture with the money received!

This is all giving me heartburn....lol

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The tech is a toolbag
the oil is coming into the manifold with a catch can it doesn't get there.
Whatever.
The Cherokee is a different vehicle altogether different designed sump for oil etc.
The oil pan attempt was insane if you ask me ...was it a different part number?
STEVE

Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
The tech is a toolbag
the oil is coming into the manifold with a catch can it doesn't get there.
Whatever.
The Cherokee is a different vehicle altogether different designed sump for oil etc.
The oil pan attempt was insane if you ask me ...was it a different part number?
STEVE
I agree.

As for the part number, I am not sure. I will ask for a copy of the work order. I had it but missed placed it. I did however get to see the original oil pan in the service bay where the truck was being worked on. The service manager said that the new oil pan they put on had a few more and bigger holes to allow all the oil to run down into it. But he also said that he drove the vehicle all around parked in many different areas with inclines and even put it it on the rack with the rear end down and front end up at about a 20% incline and it did nothing. Five minutes after parking it on the driveway and I proved him and the tech wrong!

I know most are not worried about the slight smoking, but for some reason this and the other R/T smoke like crazy and continue until they are brought back to level ground. With the way they smoke, it makes me think at some point the motor is going to seize up. It is not just a little smoke. It smokes bad enought to fill a garage with it, or while I am loading my boat into the lake, I get all kinds of people asking why it looks like the truck is on fire. Or better yet laughed at for by a(nother) Dodge....lol

Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM
SS2RT
Captain

just leverage the lemon law and move on. no modern car should smoke that bad on any incline

http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html

Its gonna be more grief to deal with the problem repeatedly than it is to get out of the vehicle most likely

good luck and I hope u find quick resolution.
You are the consumer and what you want is not unreasonable, they are lucky you would even CONSIDER a trade to a 2014 dodge/chrylser ANYTHING as compensation after such grief on a brand new (expensive or not) vehicle

Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
I know I can do the lemon law, but why should consumers have to do all that when problems arise right from the start? I did not have my truck a full 20 hours before it was towed off the driveway and sent to the shop for something at the time "NOBODY" knew of when in reality they did as we all now know. Chrysler has a special thing that when ever I bring in my vehicles for any type of servicing, the service department needs to call them first before they can do anything on my vehicle. So, they know the problem started less than 24 hours of purchasing this vehicle.

This is what the lemon law is all about. You got a bad truck, so you can either keep it or use the tools available to get a new one.

And not to be nasty, but your wining about credit ratings is pathetic. First it's not going to do anything to your score, and you're going to have to run your credit again anyway when you get your new Ford/Chevy/??? Act like a grown up and accept that sh-t happens in life and you have to deal with it according to the laws that are there to protect you.

No one is going to be able to help you except you. It's like when you get in an accident. It really sucks, you lose some money/car value on the deal (even if it's not your fault), you don't have your car for a while, and your on the phone with insurance companies forever. But it happens to everyone and you have to DEAL WITH IT.

What happened to you sucks. I couldn't agree more, and I sympathize with you. Now go make it right.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by JRRF
And not to be nasty, but your wining about credit ratings is pathetic.
It's cool. When you have someone take your credit and goes out on a shopping spree leaving you to fend with the bill(s) you will see it in another view. Especially when it is thousands of dollars which is mere pennies to some.

Also, when a dealership or anyone running credit for that matter runs the credit with an agenciy or company, it sits on your credit report in the inquires section for 30 or more days. It also lessons your score when you do this frequently in a short time frame.

Quick Reply: looking for a little help from everyone.